Vipers Win Streak Snapped by Texas at Home
EDINBURG, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (9-19) snapped its three-game winning streak 125-98 against Texas Legends (14-12) on Saturday night at Bert Ogden Arena.
In the first quarter both teams were trying to find their groove, but it would take the entire quarter to get the rhythm going on both ends of the court. Once Texas built the team chemistry, they went on a 18-9 lead over RGV.
The Rio Grande defense only allowed the Legends to score two points while the Vipers added nine points making the score 20-18. A 2 pointer and free-throw from Shawn Occeusgave the Vipers a 21-20 lead, but Legends added two points once again to give them a 22-21 lead at the end of the quarter.
Texas went on a nine-point run to kick off the second quarter and extended its lead 33-21. The Legends defense only allowed the Vipers to score 15 points while Legends went on a 23-point run to send the game 55-36 into halftime.
Trahson Burrell led the half with 16 points, four rebounds and three assists. Brandon Fields put up 10 points and five rebounds. Antonius Cleveland climbed his way to the top with seven rebounds.
Both Isaiah Taylor and Jaron Blossomgame added nine points and three rebounds each for the Vipers.
Late in the second half of the game Texas crept away with the biggest lead of the night and defeated the Vipers 125-98.
The Vipers will begin a three road game series on Tuesday, Jan. 21 at noon against the Northern Arizona Suns followed by two games against Sioux Falls on Friday, Jan. 24 and Saturday, Jan. 25 both at 7 p.m. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 19, 2020
- Hall Paces Knicks in Win over Western Conference Leaders - Westchester Knicks
- Knicks Beat Go-Go, Reach .500 for First Time this Season - Westchester Knicks
- Legends Rebound with Big Win over RGV - Texas Legends
- Warriors Fall to Blue, 129-125 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Vipers Win Streak Snapped by Texas at Home - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers Grasp Victory over Warriors
- Nix Earns NBA G League Player of the Week Honors
- Vipers Add Phillip Wheeler and Jordan Tucker to Roster
- Stars Align for Vipers as Nix Drops 30 on Star Wars Night
- Queen Reaches Career High in Win against Salt Lake City Stars