Vientos, Lagrange Notch Multi-Hit Games, Columbia Drops Opener in Augusta
NORTH AUGUSTA, SC - Mark Vientos notched his second three-hit game of the season on Tuesday. The Columbia third baseman singled in three of his four plate appearances in a 3-2 series-opening loss to Augusta. Wagner Lagrange added to Vientos' performance with a multi-hit game of his own. The Dominican native smacked a pair of doubles in two trips, driving in a run and scoring a run as well.
On the mound, Willy Taveras (L, 2-5) matched a season-high in innings pitched for Fireflies starters. The righty went 6.1 innings, striking out five and walking one. Tavares was relieved by Ezequiel Zabaleta in the seventh, who pitched the final two innings. Combined, Columbia (13-25) pitchers only surrendered six hits. Of those six hits, two were home runs. The first was a two-run shot in the fourth from Frankie Tostada that put the GreenJackets (19-18) on the board. The second came just an inning later, when Jeffry Parra hit a game-winning, solo homer to left. All of Augusta's runs on the night came by way of the long ball.
Keaton Winn (W, 2-2) got the start for the GreenJackets. In six innings of work, he allowed two runs on seven hits. Jesus Ozoria (S, 1) pitched the final third of the ballgame, allowing just two baserunners in three innings out of the pen.
Top 3: Ronny Mauricio singles on a line drive to left...Wagner Lagrange scores. COL 1, AUG 0
Bottom 4: Frankie Tostado hits a two-run homer to right. Tostado and Shane Matheny score. AUG 2, COL 1
Top 5: Lagrange doubles into the left field corner, Gerson Molina scores. COL 2, AUG 2.
Bottom 5: Jeffry Parra hits a solo shot to left. AUG 3, COL 2.
The Fireflies continue their series against Augusta on Wednesday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 ET. You can watch on MiLB.TV or tune in live at FireFliesLivestream.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from May 15, 2019
- RiverDogs Survive Late Power Rally, Walk off for Second Straight Night - Charleston RiverDogs
- Late-Inning Rally Falls Short in Extras - West Virginia Power
- Drive Clip Crawdads, 6-5, on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Offense Quiet in 3-1 Loss to Columbia - Augusta GreenJackets
- Holderman Dazzles Again in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - May 15 at Augusta (Game 39) - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Split Pair with 'Hoppers - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Olague Leads Braves to another Win over Tourists - Rome Braves
- Claws Rally for 3-2 Wednesday Win - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (May 15) - West Virginia Power
- Suns Drop Early Lead Again - Hagerstown Suns
- Schmidt Showcases Electric Stuff But Receives No Help - Asheville Tourists
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Vientos, Lagrange Notch Multi-Hit Games, Columbia Drops Opener in Augusta - Columbia Fireflies
- Rome Defeats Asheville 5-1 in Series Opener - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Mason in Search of a Trick-Or-Treating Partner
- Ballpark Digest Names Segra Park "Class A Ballpark of the Decade"
- Relive the Top 10 Moments of the Fireflies 2019 Season
- Fireflies School Supply Drive Items Donated to Two Midlands Schools
- Fireflies Close out 2019 Season in Augusta