Veteran Forward to Join Hawks
Waterloo, Iowa - Forward Alex Gaffney is a veteran of more than 120 United States Hockey League games over three seasons and will join the Waterloo Black Hawks following a trade announced today.
The Hawks made the deal with the Omaha Lancers. Gaffney is the only current player who will be relocated in the swap, which also includes several USHL draft picks. Waterloo hosts the Lancers Tuesday at 7:05 p.m.
Gaffney was in the lineup for 17 of Omaha's 19 games so far this season. He had three goals and two assists. Four of his five points were recorded in power play situations.
During the prior two seasons, the West Orange, New Jersey, native was a member of the Muskegon Lumberjacks. In that time, Gaffney produced 27 goals and 28 assists. He also had a +11 plus/minus differential. Gaffney's 60 career USHL points will rank second only to Wyatt Schingoethe (79) among players currently active on Waterloo's roster.
Gaffney is committed to Harvard University. He joins fellow forward Casey Severo as the second Crimson recruit in the Hawks' dressing room.
Limited seats are available for tonight's Black Hawks game against Omaha at Young Arena.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 19, 2021
- Special Teams Give Lancers the Game - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Lincoln Survives Musketeer Comeback Bid - Sioux City Musketeers
- Veteran Forward to Join Hawks - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stella Commits to American International College - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Storm Announce Multiple Roster Changes Ahead of Series against Stars - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.