Versatile Guard Shenise Johnson Re-Signs with Indiana Fever
INDIANAPOLIS - Six-year WNBA veteran Shenise Johnson has signed a free agent contract to return to the Indiana Fever, it was announced today by Head Coach and General Manager Pokey Chatman.
A versatile and athletic, 5-11 shooting guard, Johnson has averaged 10.6 points per game over three seasons with the Fever since being acquired in a trade with San Antonio prior to the 2015 campaign. Johnson was a starter averaging 10.9 points while helping Indiana to the WNBA Finals in 2015.
"I am ecstatic Shenise will continue with our Fever family," said Chatman. "She's such a dynamic player, that continues to grow her game each and every year. Her efficiency and ability to play multiple positions on both ends of the floor makes her invaluable."
Johnson sustained a torn left ACL injury during practice last season on July 11. The Fever were 7-9 with Johnson in the lineup but they won just two of their final 18 games following her injury. After successful surgery in August, she has continued to rehab in Indianapolis this winter, and anticipates a full recovery and hopeful return during the 2018 WNBA season.
A graduate of the University of Miami and a native of Rochester, N.Y., Johnson was averaging 11.3 points per game at the time of last year's injury. The fifth overall pick in the 2012 WNBA Draft, she set a Fever record and led the WNBA in free throw percentage (.938) in 2016, finishing the season with 40 consecutive made free throws.
Entering their 19th WNBA season in 2018, the Indiana Fever hold the WNBA's No. 2 overall draft pick for the first time since 2005, with hopes of beginning another playoff streak. A WNBA playoff participant in a league-record 12 straight seasons (2005-16) and 13 times since 2002, the Fever have reached at least the conference finals eight times in the past 13 years - including WNBA Finals appearances in 2009 and 2015, and a WNBA championship in 2012. For single-game ticket information or 2017 season ticket information, visit FeverBasketball.com or call (317) 917-2528.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from February 13, 2018
- Atlanta Dream Sign Adaora Elonu to Training Camp Contract - Atlanta Dream
- Mercury Re-Signs Two-Time WNBA Champion DeWanna Bonner - Phoenix Mercury
- Versatile Guard Shenise Johnson Re-Signs with Indiana Fever - Indiana Fever
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indiana Fever Stories
- Lynx Outlast Fever, 87-65
- Fever Comeback Falls Just Short in 87-83 Loss to the Atlanta Dream
- Fever Fall to Phoenix Mercury, 95-77
- Fever Stumble in Fourth Quarter, Fall to Connecticut Sun 87-78 Sunday Evening
- Fever Rally Late to Force Overtime But Fall 101-92 to the Las Vegas Aces