Valdez Dazzles as Hooks Edge Past 'Hounds
MIDLAND, TX - Hooks lefty Framber Valdez spun six scoreless frames and matched a season-high 10 strikeouts as Corpus Christi held on for a 2-1 victory at Security Bank Ballpark on Friday night.
The Hooks scored an early run when Chas McCormick led off the contest with a walk against righty Parker Dunshee. McCormick crossed home on Josh Rojas' sac fly to give the Hooks a 1-0 edge.
After the opening tally, Valdez and Dunshee matched zeroes. The RockHounds had a baserunner in every inning against Valdez, but were unable to score. Dunshee kept the Hooks off the board until the seventh.
In the seventh, Randy Cesar drew a one-out walk and Lorenzo Quintana shot a two-out RBI double down the right field line to give the Hooks a 2-0 lead.
Left-hander Kit Scheetz replaced Valdez in the bottom half of the seventh. He permitted a one-out double to Brett Siddall, who would later score on Eli White's infield single. Midland cut the deficit to 2-1.
After Scheetz retired the side in order in the eighth, the Virginia Tech product returned for the ninth with the Hooks still ahead 2-1. Scheetz struck out Skye Bolt to start the frame but then allowed back-to-back singles to Tyler Marincov and Siddall. With the tying and winning runs on base, Scheetz bounced back to strike out Jonah Heim for the second out of the inning.
Corpus Christi skipper Omar Lopez elected to bring in righty Justin Ferrell to face Eli White, who hit a game-tying homer in the ninth inning during Thursday night's contest.
Ferrell walked White to load the bases. Midland's Tyler Ramirez then dug in and lifted a high fly ball to deep left centerfield, but Rojas went back to the warning track to catch it and end the ballgame.
It was Ferrell's first save of the season, while Scheetz ultimately struck out five and allowed a run in 2.2 innings pitched.
The Hooks go for a series victory on Saturday night. Corpus Christi sends left-hander Ryan Hartman to the mound while the RockHounds counter with righty Norge Ruiz. First pitch is at 7 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Missions Take Opener of Doubleheader - San Antonio Missions
- Darvill's Homer Beats Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Valdez Dazzles as Hooks Edge Past 'Hounds - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Edged by Late Drillers Homer - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Riders Split Doubleheader with Missions - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hooks at Whataburger Field: July 15-18 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Minor League Baseball and the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Renew Partnership - Arkansas Travelers
- Travs Cling to 6-5 Win on Thursday Night - Springfield Cardinals
- Big Ninth Propels RockHounds Past Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Travs Notch 2nd Straight One-Run Win - Arkansas Travelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.