United Soccer League Launches Impact Committee, Somos Unidos Foundation Executive Director Named Committee Lead
Albuquerque, NM - The USL Impact Committee, composed of representatives from Championship and League One clubs, met for the first time on Tuesday afternoon to open the 2020/21 USL Winter Summit. Working in collaboration with USL HQ, the newly formed group will serve as an advisory board to both the league office and its clubs, working to identify issues, provide recommendations on how to better address areas of social impact, and use soccer as a force for good.
"We are fortunate to have such a talented, passionate group of individuals who are willing to dedicate their time and energy towards making our league a more thoughtful and compassionate place," said USL President Jake Edwards. "We look forward to getting to work."
"It is an honor to be chosen to lead this incredible group of impact-minded leaders, and to represent New Mexico with this national platform," said Chanel Wiese, Executive Director of the Somos Unidos Foundation and Impact Committee Lead. "Together, we'll work to create bridges instead of barriers and use the Beautiful Game to empower, bring people together, and make a difference in the communities we love."
The creation of the USL Impact Committee began this past November when each club in the Championship and League One was given the opportunity to put forward a nominee. Each nominee was required to submit a short statement explaining their interest in being a part of the committee.
Each USL Impact Committee member will serve a minimum two-year term.
USL Impact Committee
Jovan Chavez - Latino Outreach Manager, Forward Madison FC
Martie Cordaro - President, Union Omaha
Mike Geddes - Chief Purpose Officer, Oakland Roots SC
Lucy Gonzalez - Head of Marketing & Brand, FC Tulsa
Shannon MacMillan - Senior Advisor, San Diego Loyal SC
Madison Prillwitz - Corporate Partnerships Coordinator, Indy Eleven
Curtis Walker - Senior Director of Corporate Partnership, USL HQ
Chanel Wiese - Executive Director of Somos Unidos Foundation, New Mexico United (Committee Lead)
For the 2021 season, the Committee has identified four areas of social impact to begin their work. Those areas are Anti-Racism efforts, LGBTQ+ Advocacy, Community Engagement and Gender Equity. In addition, members will lead Sub-Committees that will continue to work on each issue between full Impact Committee meetings. Sub-Committees will meet every two weeks between formal meetings of the Impact Committee, which will meet every six weeks throughout the year.
The USL Impact Committee and Sub-Committees will also work closely with representatives of the USL Players Association and the USL Black Players Alliance. The USLPA was represented at the committee's inaugural gathering by Executive Committee member Connor Tobin, and the USLBPA by Executive Committee members Roberts, Brandon Miller and Matt Watson.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 20, 2021
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder Emil Cuello - San Antonio FC
- Dave Carton Named Head Coach of Independence 2 - Charlotte Independence
- United Soccer League Launches Impact Committee, Somos Unidos Foundation Executive Director Named Committee Lead - New Mexico United
- FC Tulsa Set for Soft Opening of Team Shop on Saturday - FC Tulsa
- A Letter to Fans from Bruce Mandell - Hartford Athletic
- Republic FC Sign Midfielder Tucker Bone - Sacramento Republic FC
- Indy Eleven Represented on New USL Impact Committee - Indy Eleven
- USL Impact Committee Launches, Identifies Areas of Focus - USL
- USL Expects 'Productive Two Weeks' as Winter Summit Goes All-Digital - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce Thirteenth Academy Signing, Albuquerque Native Ivan Moore
- New Mexico United Announces Addition of First Team Assistant Coach and Academy Head Coach Paul Leese
- New Mexico United & the Somos Unidos Foundation Announce Twelfth Academy Signing, Los Alamos Native Aidan Semelsberger
- New Mexico United Academy to Host First-Ever Open Trial Sessions, March 13-14
- New Mexico United Fans Send More Than 10,000 Letters to Lawmakers in 24 Hours to Support Multi-Use Cultural Center/Stadium