United Re-Sign Defender Oniel Fisher to a Contract Extension
D.C. United have re-signed Jamaican National Team defender Oniel Fisher to a contract extension. The four-year MLS defender had his most productive season last year, setting career highs in appearances (24), starts (20), minutes (1,832), interceptions (42), tackles won (36), and clearances (43). Fisher started 16 consecutive games for United in the 2018 season before getting injured on Sept. 29 against Montreal.
"We're excited to re-sign Oniel after a promising first season with us that was cut short through injury," Dave Kasper, United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "He's motivated to come back stronger and we're looking forward to getting him back to full fitness this year to contribute to the team."
Fisher scored his first MLS goal against the Portland Timbers on Aug. 15, 2018. His 47th-minute goal was the eventual game-winner for the Black-and-Red in a 4-1 win at Audi Field. The defender then added his second career MLS assist and first for United in a 3-3 draw against the New York Red Bulls on Sept. 16, 2018 when he found Wayne Rooney with a cross in the 64th minute.
Fisher has earned 15 total caps for the Jamaican Men's National Team since making his debut as a substitute in the 3-1 win against Trinidad and Tobago on Aug. 10, 2010. Last year, Fisher made two appearances in International Friendlies for the Reggae Boys. He played 90 minutes in the 2-2 draw with South Korea on Jan. 30 and also played the entirety of the 1-1 draw against Antigua and Barbuda on March 26. In 2017, Fisher started in four of Jamaica's six games in the 2017 CONCACAF Gold Cup including a 90-minute performance in a 2-1 loss to the U.S. Men's National Team in the final.
Player: Oniel Fisher
Birthplace: Portmore, Jamaica
Hometown: Portmore, Jamaica
Previous Club: Seattle Sounders
Status: Green Card
Transaction: United re-sign defender Oniel Fisher to a contract extension.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 30, 2019
- Impact Draws 1-1 against FC Cincinnati in First Preseason Game - Montreal Impact
- Darren Mattocks nets the Orange and Blue's first preseason goal in 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Giovinco Sold to Al-Hilal FC - Toronto FC
- Whitecaps FC Acquire South Korean International Midfielder Hwang In-Beom - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- LAFC Signs Forward Rodolfo Zelaya - Los Angeles FC
- New York Red Bulls Injury Update: Ryan Meara - New York Red Bulls
- New England Revolution Acquire Spanish Midfielder Carles Gil - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo Sign Defender Maynor Figueroa - Houston Dynamo
- FC Dallas Names AndrÃ© Zanotta as the Club's New Technical Director - FC Dallas
- United Re-Sign Defender Oniel Fisher to a Contract Extension - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Foundation to be Honored by Gift of Life Marrow Registry - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Add Right Back Scott Sutter - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Leonardo Jara from Boca Juniors - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Announce 2019 Promotional Schedule, Title Partners - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Tabs WSTR Star64 as MLS Local Broadcast Partner - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Post-Match Facts: Toronto FC V. D.C. United
- Griffin Yow Named in World Cup Squad for U.S. U-17 Boys' National Team
- Arriola, Moreno and Rodriguez on International Duty Ahead of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoff Match
- Time and Broadcast Update for Match against Toronto on October 19
- D.C. United Draw FC Cincinnati 0-0 in Final MLS Regular Season Match