United Extend Partnership with Richmond Kickers Through 2018 Season
WASHINGTON - D.C. United and the Richmond Kickers have extended their affiliation agreement through the 2018 season. This is the sixth year of the clubs' partnership in conjunction with the in 2013 agreement forged by Major League Soccer and the USL. Goalkeeper Travis Worra and Bolivian National Team player Bruno Miranda will join the Kickers on loan.
"We have been very pleased with our partnership with the Richmond Kickers over the years and are excited to extend it for a sixth season," Dave Kasper, United general manager and VP of soccer operations, said. "They are a great club who provide a professional environment and have been instrumental in helping our players to develop as professionals."
Separated by a little over 100 miles, D.C. United and the Richmond Kickers have worked closely to organize loan spells for nearly two decades before officially affiliating prior to the 2013 season. Last season the D.C. United players who featured for the Kickers included Travis Worra, Chris Durkin Chris Odoi-Atsem and Jalen Robinson.
"We are delighted to add one more year to our long-standing partnership and affiliation," said Leigh Cowlishaw, Richmond Kickers Director of Soccer. "We look forward to adding quality players with MLS experience to our 2018 squad."
Since the affiliation became official in 2013, players who have featured with the Kickers on loan include Miguel Aguilar, Steven Birnbaum, Alex Caskey, Paul Clowes, Chris Durkin, Andrew Dykstra, Christiano Francois, Charlie Horton, Jared Jeffrey, Alhaji Kamara, Taylor Kemp, Eric Klenofsky, Chris Korb, Collin Martin, Luke Mishu, Chris Odoi-Atsem, Kyle Porter, Jalen Robinson, Michael Seaton, Conor Shanosky, Maxim Tissot, Casey Townsend, Ethan White, Joe Willis and Travis Worra.
Over the past two decades, 42 D.C. United players have played with the Richmond Kickers, with the roster of players including 2011 Major League Soccer MVP Dwayne De Rosario, Mike Burke, Jeff Causey, Ben Crawley, Brian Kamler, Mike McGinty, Mark Simpson, Clyde Simms, Robert Ssejjemba and Richie Williams. Other players who have featured with the Kickers on loan include Miguel Aguilar, Steven Birnbaum, Brian Carroll, Alex Caskey, Paul Clowes, Chris Durkin, Andrew Dykstra, John DiRaimondo, Christiano Francois, Charlie Horton, Jared Jeffrey, Alhaji Kamara, Taylor Kemp, Eric Klenofsky, Chris Korb, Justin Mapp, Collin Martin, Andy Metcalf, Luke Mishu, Bryan Namoff, Chris Odoi-Atsem, Anthony Peters, Kyle Porter, Jalen Robinson, Michael Seaton, Conor Shanosky, Long Tan, Maxim Tissot, Casey Townsend, Ethan White, Joe Willis and Travis Worra.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 9, 2018
- Chicago Fire Adds Kevin Ellis and Patrick McLain - Chicago Fire
- New York Red Bulls Sign Defender Kyle Duncan - New York Red Bulls
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow for Crew SC's Home Opening Match - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Faces Columbus Crew SC Saturday Afternoon - Montreal Impact
- United Acquire 2017 USL MVP Dane Kelly - D.C. United
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Colorado Rapids - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire Announces ESPN as Exclusive Local Media Rights Partner - Chicago Fire
- MLS and Twitter Agree to Three-Year Content Agreement - MLS
- Real Salt Lake Kicks off 2018 Home Opener Saturday Afternoon v. LAFC - Real Salt Lake
- United Extend Partnership with Richmond Kickers Through 2018 Season - D.C. United
- Preview: Sporting KC Hits the Road to Face Chicago on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Generation Adidas Cup to Feature Future MLS and International Stars - MLS
- FC Dallas Loans Adonijah Reid to Ottawa Fury FC - FC Dallas
- Match Preview | MNUFC vs. Orlando City SC - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.