Ulloa: "It's Going to be a Final for Us on Monday MorningÃ¢ÂÂ
There's only one thing on the minds of Inter Miami players ahead of the Club's third and final match in the group stage of the MLS is Back Tournament: getting three points.
With a victory against New York City FC, the Club can keep its hopes of advancing to the knockout rounds of the tournament alive, but our players are taking it one step at a time, focusing on getting the long-awaited first MLS victory for Inter Miami first.
"We're very optimistic. We know there's still a possibility for us to move onto the next round and more importantly to get our first win, which is what we've been looking for," said midfielder Victor Ulloa. "That's the beauty of soccer, you always get another opportunity. We have one more game to try and get our first three points and we still have a chance to qualify, so it's going to be a final for us on Monday morning."
"We're disappointed because we feel like we deserved more in the last two games, but our main focus right now is getting this win on Monday. That's all we can control. Whatever happens after that, we're hopeful that it's enough but we're focused on getting the first win for Inter Miami," added fellow midfielder Lee Nguyen.
"This game is important for us for multiple reasons. One, we want to advance and go as far as we can in this tournament. Another is that this game counts towards our regular season as well. The other one is also that we want to get our first win for our fans."
Although predicting a tough matchup, for Ulloa and Nguyen the key for the team will be to avoid past mistakes in order to overcome their upcoming rivals.
"It's going to be a good game. It's going to be hot for us, it's going to be hot for them. It's going to be 11 players against 11 players, so whoever wants it more and whoever is focused, concentrated and pays attention to the small details is going to take the game," stated Ulloa.
"The past two or three games we've been so close, but it was little things that tilted the game the other way. Diego [Alonso] and the coaches have been helping us to focus on those little details and things we need to focus on during the game to tilt those little decisions in our favor," highlighted Nguyen. "That's the difference between winning and losing. We feel confident going into this game, hoping that we can turn the tide."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 17, 2020
- D.C. United Draw 1-1 against New England in the Second Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament - D.C. United
- Revolution and D.C. United Play to 1-1 Draw in MLS Is Back Tournament - New England Revolution
- Rapids Fall Late - Colorado Rapids
- Pareja, Lions Look for Group Stage Clean Sweep - Orlando City SC
- Ulloa: "It's Going to be a Final for Us on Monday MorningÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy and East Side Riders Bike Club to Host Group Bike Ride from Watts to Dignity Health Sports Park on Saturday - LA Galaxy
- Manager Diego Alonso: "We Have to Insist Until It HappensÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Face Portland Timbers in Critical Group F Match - Houston Dynamo
- Chicago Fire FC Launches Expansive Reimagined Kids Club Program for Kids 12-And-Under - Chicago Fire
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Nathan Harriel to Homegrown Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Orlando City Acquires 2021 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from Philadelphia Union - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer Announces New Expansion Timeline - MLS
- LAFC Faces Crosstown Rival La Galaxy in Second Group Stage Match of the MLS Is Back Tournament Saturday Night - Los Angeles FC
- Orlando City Faces Philadelphia Union on Monday - Orlando City SC
- WGN-TV to Air Rebroadcast of Win over Seattle Sounders FC on Sunday Afternoon in Lead-Up to Match Versus San Jose Earthquakes - Chicago Fire
- Orlando City SC Academy College Commitments - Orlando City SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. D.C. United - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC Adds Corey Wray to Black & Gold's Technical Staff - Columbus Crew SC
- Servando Carrasco on Fort Lauderdale CF: "If I Want to Really Get the Best out of My Teammates I Have to Set the Example First" - MLS
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Vito Wormgoor Undergoes Successful Ankle Surgery - Columbus Crew SC
- Red Bulls Fall to Columbus, 2-0 - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF to Host Orlando City SC on Saturday
- Inter Miami CF Will Open Stadium to Limited Number of Season Ticket Members on Saturday
- Inter Miami CF Falls to Montreal Impact on the Road
- Inter Miami CF to Visit Montreal Impact on Saturday
- International Duty: Pizarro Starts Twice for Mexico