Two Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that goalkeeper Zack Steffen and midfielder Wil Trapp have received international call-ups from the United States Men's National Team. Steffen and Trapp are set to represent the Stars & Stripes at U.S. Soccer's annual January camp, which begins on January 10, 2018 ahead of a friendly contest against Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The United States opens training camp at the National Training Center in Carson, California on January 10 ahead of a friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina on January 28. The match takes place at StubHub Center in Carson, California and marks the U.S. Men's National Team's first match at the venue since a 1-0 victory over Canada on February 5, 2016.
A member of the United States National Team program since the Under-14 level, Zack Steffen most recently featured for the U-23 team, playing 45 minutes in a friendly against England's U-21 squad on September 3, 2015 in Preston, England. Prior to that, the goalkeeper earned 11 caps with the USA's U-20 squad. Steffen served as the primary goalkeeper at the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship, where he made five appearances (all starts) and recorded four consecutive shutouts to help the U.S. qualify for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. At that tournament, Steffen made five appearances (all starts) to help the Stars & Stripes advance to the Quarterfinals. On May 16, 2016, Steffen was called-up by United States Men's National Team head coach J-rgen Klinsmann for a transitional camp.
Entering his third season with Crew SC, Steffen is coming off a 2017 campaign in which he made 39 appearances (all starts) across all MLS competitions (regular season and postseason). The 22-year-old was the only Black & Gold player to play every minute of every match during the regular season, registering 16 wins and nine shutouts, both club records for a Crew SC goalkeeper in his first year of play. Additionally, Steffen's 34 starts in the regular season also tied Steve Clark's record for most starts by a Black & Gold goalkeeper in his first year of play. Steffen finished the regular season with 98 saves, tied with Bill Hamid for fourth-most saves in the League and behind only Joe Bendik (173), Bobby Shuttleworth (116) and Luis Robles (99).
Black & Gold captain Wil Trapp has represented the U.S. Men's National Team senior roster on two occasions, with his last appearance coming in a 1-0 friendly victory over Canada on February 5, 2016. Trapp also has international experience at the youth level, having participated in Olympic qualifying with the U.S. U-23 squad, captaining the team against Colombia in both legs of the playoff for the 2016 Summer Olympics, playing 180 minutes over both matches. Trapp also earned 15 caps with the United States Under-20 National Team, helping the team qualify for the 2013 FIFA Under-20 World Cup. In 2013, he was named the U.S. Soccer Young Male Athlete of the Year.
During the 2017 MLS season, his fifth with Crew SC, Trapp made 34 regular-season appearances (all starts) setting a new personal career-high in matches played, minutes played (3,035) and assists (five) provided in a single season. Per Opta, Trapp led the League in completed passes (2,034) and was one of only two players, along with Toronto FC's Michael Bradley, to successfully complete over 2,000 passes during the 2017 regular season. Additionally, Trapp was one of only two Crew SC players to start every match for the club during the regular season, the other being Zack Steffen. Since joining Columbus ahead of the 2013 season, Trapp has made 127 regular-season appearances (124 starts) for the club, scoring one goal and providing 14 assists
Under Sporting Director and Head Coach Gregg Berhalter, the 2018 MLS Preseason begins on Monday, January 26, after entrance physicals and testing. From there, the club departs to Casa Grande, Arizona for its preseason camp. Crew SC is slated to remain in Arizona through February 6 before traveling to Honolulu, Hawaii to participate in the inaugural Pacific Rim Cup from February 6-11. Following the conclusion of the Pacific Rim Cup, the club travels to Charleston, South Carolina to participate in the 2018 Carolina Challenge Cup.
More information on Season Ticket Memberships for the 2018 season at MAPFRE Stadium is available at columbuscrewsc.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 9, 2018
- United acquire $300,000 in Allocation Money from the LA Galaxy for rights to Perry Kitchen - D.C. United
- 2018 LA Galaxy Season Media Accreditation Deadline - Los Angeles Galaxy
- United Acquire MLS Veteran Goalkeeper David Ousted - D.C. United
- The team will train in Montreal, Miami, Las Vegas and St. Petersburg - Montreal Impact
- SPR Signs Former Columbus Crew SC Midfielder Rodrigo Saravia - Sporting Kansas City
- New York Red Bulls Sign Ben Mines to Homegrown Contract - New York Red Bulls
- JORDAN MORRIS AND CRISTIAN ROLDAN CALLED INTO U.S. MEN'S NATIONAL TEAM JANUARY CAMP - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Announce Technical Staff for 2018 MLS Season - Portland Timbers
- THREE TORONTO FC PLAYERS CALLED INTO UNITED STATES NATIONAL TEAM - Toronto FC
- Tyler Adams Named to U.S. Men's National Team January Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Two Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups - Columbus Crew SC
- Two Columbus Crew SC Players Receive International Call-Ups from The - Columbus Crew SC
- CJ Sapong Called Up By United States Men's National Team For Annual January Camp - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.