Turner, Cannon Re-Sign with Mercury
PHOENIX - The three-time WNBA Champion Phoenix Mercury today announced the signings of guard Yvonne (E-von) Turner and forward Emma Cannon, both of whom spent their rookie seasons with Phoenix in 2017.
Turner is coming off a rookie campaign with the Mercury in which she averaged 5.1 points and 1.1 assists in 34 regular season games (four starts), one of only five Mercury players to appear in every contest. After being inserted into the Mercury starting lineup down the stretch, Turner started all five postseason games for Phoenix, averaging 9.8 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.6 assists. Turner finished third among all WNBA rookies in shooting percentage (.410), trailing only fellow rookie teammates, Cannon and Stephanie Talbot. The 2016-17 EuroLeague leading scorer had four double-figure scoring performances on the season, including a career-high 18 points off the bench at Minnesota on July 16.
Turner is currently playing for Uniqa Sopron in Hungary where she has played in a combined 28 games between the EuroLeague and Hungarian League and is averaging 11.3 points, 2.9 rebounds and 3.8 assists per game.
Cannon averaged 4.4 points and 3.6 rebounds during her rookie season, while also appearing in all 34 games for the Mercury. The forward led all WNBA rookies in field goal percentage (.491), while ranking third in rookie rebounding and seventh in scoring. Her 122 total rebounds in 2017 were the 10th-most boards by a Mercury rookie in franchise history, and she became the first Mercury rookie since Brittney Griner in 2013 to finish with 100+ rebounds in a season.
Currently, Cannon is playing for Nadezhda Orenburg, who competes in the Russian League and EuroLeague. She is one of just two players in Russia that ranks in the top-5 in both scoring and rebounding.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from February 5, 2018
- Mystics Add Peters, Re-Sign Taylor - Washington Mystics
- Mercury Re-Signs Camille Little - Phoenix Mercury
- Turner, Cannon Re-Sign with Mercury - Phoenix Mercury
- Mercury Acquires Two Draft Picks in Sign-And-Trade Deal - Phoenix Mercury
- Hawkins, Hightower and Sanders Re-Sign with Washington - Washington Mystics
- Mercury Acquires Second-Round Draft Pick - Phoenix Mercury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Mercury Stories
- Taurasi, Griner, Bonner Named 2018 WNBA All-Stars
- Sandy Brondello, Mercury Coaching Staff Earn Spot as 2018 WNBA All-Star Game Coaches
- Taurasi Named Western Conference Player of the Month
- Mercury Forward Sancho Lyttle out for Season with Torn ACL
- Sandy Brondello Named WNBA Coach of the Month