Tropics Ink Lucio Gonzaga - with 165 Career Goals - for 2019-20 Campaign
LAKELAND, Fla. - Even though the season has started, the Florida Tropics are not done upgrading their talent with the signing of MASL veteran goal scorer Lucio Gonzaga. Per team and league policies, terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
A native of Sao Paulo, Brazil, he most recently played for Utica City FC, where he had 11 goals and 13 assists in 20 starts last season. He started his indoor career by helping the 2007-08 Baltimore Blast win a MISL championship, and in 205 career arena games, has scored 165 goals and added 74 assists.
"Lucio is the perfect veteran presence with tremendous championship level experience. He is excellent on the ball and can really help control the flow of a game with his skills," said Head Coach Clay Roberts. "We look forward to his arrival and integrating his talents into our line up."
In addition to the Blast and Utica City, he has dressed for the New Jersey Ironmen, Harrisburg Heat and Ontario Fury. His best season came with the Ironmen when he scored 23 goals in 19 games. He also eclipsed the 20 goal mark in 2012-13 with Baltimore, netting 21 goals in 24 games, winning his second title ring with the Blast that season as well.
He is the 12th free agent signed by the team since the end of last season. Florida also traded for the current MASL Rookie of the Year Zach Reget as part of a dramatic roster upgrade following a disappointing 6-18 record in 2018-19 when injuries ravaged the Tropics lineup.
In order to accommodate the move on the team's 26-man roster, midfielder Pedro Ivo Dias has been moved to the injured reserved list.
The Tropics, 1-0 and atop the MASL Eastern Conference, will be on the road for two more games - Dec. 5 in Orlando and Dec. 7 in Milwaukee - before their home opener on Saturday, Dec. 14 against the Orlando SeaWolves. Kickoff will be 5:05 p.m (EST). For ticket information, visit fltropics.com or call 863-240-0101.
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from December 3, 2019
- Tropics Ink Lucio Gonzaga - with 165 Career Goals - for 2019-20 Campaign - Florida Tropics SC
- Former Texas Rangers Pitcher Gets First Kick for Sidekicks Home Opener - Dallas Sidekicks
- Preview & Game Notes: Sidekicks and Soles Battle Down in Mexico - Dallas Sidekicks
- Flash Say Hasta La Proxima to Sidekicks - Dallas Sidekicks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Tropics SC Stories
- Tropics Stun MASL Champion Wave in OT, 5-4, to Stay Undefeated for Home Opener Saturday
- Reget, Clare Net Pair Each as Tropics Start Season with Back-To-Back Wins for First Time Ever
- Tropics Hit Road for Pair in Orlando and Milwaukee in Advance of December 14 Home Opener
- Tropics Ink Lucio Gonzaga - with 165 Career Goals - for 2019-20 Campaign
- Clare Nets Game Winner as Tropics Outlast Orlando, 3-2, in Season Opener