Tribe OF Andrew Lambo Earns Award After Leading IL in Homers and Slugging
INDIANAPOLIS - Indianapolis Indians outfielder Andrew Lambo has been named the International League's Batter of the Week for the period of June 24-30. The Tribe's outfielder led the IL by smashing three home runs, all within a four-game span, and slugging an incredible 1.056 during the week, which were also tied for second and fourth in all of Minor League Baseball respectively.
Lambo, who finished the week ranked second in the IL with a .500 batting average (9-for-18) and .609 on-base percentage, produced most of his offensive numbers during the Indians recent four-game series against the Rochester Red Wings. From Tuesday to Friday of last week, the slugger plated each of his IL-best eight runs, knocked all nine hits to tie for the league lead and scored all of his team-high tying four runs over that stretch.
During a week that also witnessed the tail end of recently promoted INF Josh Harrison's tear at the plate, Lambo carved out his own place among team headlines as he reached base safely in seven of eight contests, while tying his season long hitting streak of four games. The outfielder's torrid stretch included three multi-hit and multi-RBI games and even saw Lambo reach base in seven straight trips to the plate from June 27-28, with a combined 5-for-5 effort and two walks.
Lambo is the third Indians batter and fourth Tribe player to win an IL weekly award following outfielder Brett Carroll (April 8-14), left-handed pitcher Andy Oliver (May 6-12) and first baseman Matt Hague (May 20-26).
With four award winners already this season, the Indians have surpassed last year's 89-55 Indians squad which saw three players take home the honors. Indianapolis' four selections in 2013 are currently tied for the second-most IL Player of the Week award winners in club history since the Indians joined the current league in 1998, ranking just one shy of the 2007 team's five selections.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 1, 2013
- Reynolds Moves to 10-0, Sets Franchise Record - Louisville Bats
- Columbus Defeat Bulls in Pitcher's Duel - Columbus Clippers
- Norfolk Rally Falls Short this Time - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls and Clippers Split Doubleheader - Durham Bulls
- Wright Knuckles PawSox past RailRiders 1-0 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wright Goes Full Nine, SWB Loses, 1-0 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Red Wings, Chiefs Game Postponed Monday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Chiefs, Red Wings Rained out on Monday - Syracuse Chiefs
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- RailRiders vs. PawSox - Game Notes - July 1, 2013 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Indians Game On July 4th Sold Out - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings vs. Chiefs - Game Notes - July 1, 2013 - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons vs. Knights - Game Notes - July 1, 2013 - Buffalo Bisons
- Tribe OF Andrew Lambo Earns Award After Leading IL in Homers and Slugging - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPigs vs. Mud Hens - Game Notes - July 1, 2013 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Grissom, Mazzone to Appear at Coolray Field on July 7 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Martin Named IL Pitcher of Week - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Highly Touted Youngsters Could Fill Indy's Outfield for 2018
- Indianapolis Indians and Franciscan Health Announce New Partnership
- Short List of Catchers Battle Behind the Plate
- Indians to Wear Specially Designed Pirates Jerseys
- Tribe's Possible Infield Unit a Young, Versatile Bunch