Travs Use Trio of Late Homers to Beat Drillers
TULSA, OK - The Arkansas Travelers broke open a tie game Thursday night by hitting three, two-run homers in the top of the seventh inning and defeated the Tulsa Drillers 8-2 at ONEOK Field. The loss came in the opening game of a three-game homestand for the Drillers and dropped their season record to 7-7.
Tulsa starting pitcher J.D. Martin, who was stellar through the game's first six innings, was the victim of the Arkansas power display. The three homers not only won the game for the first-place Travelers, they also vastly improved their season offensive numbers. The Travs entered the game with just eight home runs on the season and a Texas League low .207 team batting average.
With the loss, the Drillers record at ONEOK Field this season fell to 4-4, including a 1-4 mark against Arkansas.
WHAT YOU MISSED
*Tulsa took an initial lead in the game with the first run of the night in the bottom of the second inning. Keibert Ruiz singled and scored when Logan Landon doubled just inside the third base bag. After the Travs struck for two runs in the top of the third, the Drillers tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the inning as Zach McKinstry doubled and scored on a base hit by Omar Estevez.
*The Travs three, two-run homers in the seventh came from Logan Taylor, former Bishop Kelley High School and Oklahoma State Cowboy infielder Donnie Walton and Dom Thompson-Williams. It was the first home runs of the season for both Taylor and Walton. It was the third of the year for Thompson-Williams, with all three coming at ONEOK Field.
*Martin, who was making his third start of the year, had limited the Travelers to just five hits and two runs through the game's first six innings.
*Each team finished with nine hits in the game.
*Tulsa was led offensively by Estevez, Ruiz and DJ Peters who each had two hits.
*Reliever Nolan Long held the Travs scoreless over the final 2.1 innings.
UP NEXT: Arkansas at Tulsa, Friday, April 12, 7:05 PM at ONEOK Field. RHP Darren McCaughen (0-0, 0.00 ERA) versus Mitchell White (0-0, 0.00 ERA).
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from April 18, 2019
- Travs Use Trio of Late Homers to Beat Drillers - Tulsa Drillers
- Sod Poodles Snap Four-Game Losing Streak with 8-4 Victory over Hooks - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Riders Foundation Announces 2019 CoServ Teachers of the Month - Frisco RoughRiders
- Homestand Highlights: April 18 - April 20 - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- RockHounds Sweep Sod Poodles - Midland RockHounds
- Amarillo Falls to Midland in Series Finale - Amarillo Sod Poodles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tulsa Drillers Stories
- Drillers Honored by Baseball America with Freitas Award
- ONEOK Field to Get Major Additions and Upgrades to LED Video Displays
- Drillers Announce 2020 Schedule and Start Times
- Amarillo Stuns Drillers with Ninth-Inning Rally to Win Title
- Amarillo Blanks Drillers to Force Winner-Take-All Game 5 Sunday at ONEOK Field