Travs Cling to 6-5 Win on Thursday Night
North Little Rock, AR - The Springfield Cardinals raced back within one run with two tallies in the eighth, but the Arkansas Travelers hung on for the 6-5 win before 2,651 fans at Dickey-Stephens Park on Thursday night.
After both Cardinals LHP Austin Warner (L, 0-3) and Travelers RHP Johendi Jiminian alternated scoreless work through the first three innings, the Cardinals (5-15, 38-52) seized the lead in the fourth. With one on and two away, C Jeremy Martinez launched a two-run blast to left field, lifting the Cardinals into the 2-0 lead.
Springfield added a third run in the top of the fifth. With LF Blake Drake at second and two away, 3B Evan Mendoza laced an RBI single to left-center, plating Drake to make it 3-0.
The Travelers (11-7, 46-42), though, rallied back with four runs in the bottom of the fifth. With two on and two away, SS Chris Mariscal guided a check-swing RBI single up the middle, bringing in CF Beau Amaral from second base to get the Travs on the board. After a hit batter loaded the bases, 1B Joey Curletta skied a fly ball down the right field line. RF Johan Mieses attempted a running catch on the line, but the ball skipped off of his glove and was ruled a fair ball, with all three runners scoring on the play for a go-ahead three-run single to make it 4-3.
The Travs added two more runs in the bottom of the seventh to make it 6-3, before the Cardinals raced back into it in the top of the eighth. With Drake at first and two down, 2B Ramon Urias pulled an RBI double inside the left field line, extending his hitting streak to 11 games and scoring Drake all the way from first. Mendoza then brought in Urias with his third single and second RBI of the night, bringing the Cardinals within one run, 6-5.
After allowing a ninth-inning homer to CF Lane Thomas on Wednesday, Arkansas RHP Matt Festa (S, 13) took over for the ninth on Thursday. This time, however, he dealt a 1-2-3 final frame, closing the 6-5 win for the Travelers.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Missions Take Opener of Doubleheader - San Antonio Missions
- Darvill's Homer Beats Naturals - Tulsa Drillers
- Valdez Dazzles as Hooks Edge Past 'Hounds - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Edged by Late Drillers Homer - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Riders Split Doubleheader with Missions - Frisco RoughRiders
- Hooks at Whataburger Field: July 15-18 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Minor League Baseball and the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Renew Partnership - Arkansas Travelers
- Travs Cling to 6-5 Win on Thursday Night - Springfield Cardinals
- Big Ninth Propels RockHounds Past Hooks - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Travs Notch 2nd Straight One-Run Win - Arkansas Travelers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Cabrera Strong in Hammons Debut, Cardinals Fall 5-3 to Hooks
- Cardinals Autograph Auction this Sunday
- Thursday's Cardinals Game Cancelled Due to Inclement Weather
- Carlos Martinez Expected to Rehab in Springfield on Friday, Sunday
- Cardinals Lead Unravels in Tough 9th, Missions Win 8-3