Tortugas No-Hit into Seventh, Blown out in Finale
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - LHP Tucker Davidson took a no-hitter into the bottom of the seventh inning of Florida's 11-1 win Thursday night at Radiology Associates Field at Jackie Robinson Ballpark. Florida scored nine runs over the final three innings to take three of five in their final visit to The Jack.
A pair of solo home runs got the Fire Frogs started. First, it was Kurt Hoekstra going yard against RHP Andrew Jordan to start the second inning. Then, in fourth, Isranel Wilson led off the inning with a homer to right. Both were the batter's first home runs of the season.
The Fire Frogs doubled their 2-0 lead in the top of the seventh. With two-on and two-outs, Kevin Josephina hit a two-run single to center to give Florida a 4-0 lead.
In the bottom of the seventh, Daytona would get their first hit and run of the game. Taylor Trammell drew a walk to start the inning and moved to second on a Tyler Stephenson single, the first of the night for Daytona. Trammell would then come around to score from second a few pitches later on a Bruce Yari single to right field, making it 4-1.
With the tying run at the plate, Ibandel Isabled grounded into a 6-4-3 doubleplay and Stuart Fairchild struck out, ending the threat.
From there, Florida would take off. Riley Delgado hit a one-out single off of RHP Nick Howard in the eighth and came around from first to score on a Brett Cumberland double into the left field corner. Braxton Davidson then drove in Brett Cumberland with a single to center to make it 6-1.
The Fire Frogs rounded out the scoring by putting a five spot on the board in the top of the ninth. The first three men in the inning reached on three straight singles off RHP Aaron Fossas to load the bases. Josephina then drove in two to make it an 8-1 game with his fourth hit of the game. With runners on the corners, Cristian Pache grounded into a fielder's choice to run the lead to 9-1.
With two on and one out, catcher Morgan Lofstrom came on to replace Fossas. Lofstrom hit the first batter he faced to load the bases, then walked Davidson to force in the Fire Frogs tenth run. Jared James gave the game it's final score with a sacrifice fly to right.
Davidson (6-6) earned the win for the Fire Frogs. He allowed just one run on two hits in six innings with three walks and eight strikeouts. Jordan (1-1) was handed his first loss. He allowed two runs on nine hits with three walks in five innings, striking out two.
The Tortugas will begin a series at The Jack on Friday with the Bradenton Marauders. RHP Tommy Bergjans (2-1, 2.83) will get the ball in the opener for the Tortugas against RHP James Marvel (8-5, 3.90).
First pitch Friday is scheduled for 7:05 PM, with coverage beginning at 6:50 PM with The Metcare Pregame Show on AM 1230, AM 1490, and FM 106.9 WSBB.
NOTES: The Tortugas fell to 0-25 when trailing after 8 innings and 0-11 when scoring just one run... Daytona has lost their last 5 rubber matches, and are 2-8 overall in series deciding games... The Tortugas won the season series with the Fire Frogs 13-5, outscoring them 84-55... Daytona was no-hit into the seventh inning, the longest no-hit bid by an opposing pitcher this season... Randy Ventura went 0-for-4, with three strikeouts, ending his seven game hitting-streak... Morgan Lofstrom pitched for the Tortugas, becoming their second position player to appear on the mound. He walked a batter, hit a batter, and got two fly outs while allowing two inherited runners to score. Shane Mardirosian also pitched for Daytona on 6/5.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Tortugas No-Hit into Seventh, Blown out in Finale - Daytona Tortugas
- Jays Shutout Threshers in Series Finale Win - Dunedin Blue Jays
- Florida Hits on All Cylinders in Series Victory over Daytona - Florida Fire Frogs
- Cumana, Rivas Collect 2 Hits Each in 3-0 Loss - Clearwater Threshers
- Stone Crabs Sweep Mets in Doubleheader - St. Lucie Mets
- Florida Fire Frogs Game Notes: July 12, 2018 - Florida Fire Frogs
- First-Place Flying Tigers Return Home Friday for Weekend Series of Fun - Lakeland Flying Tigers
- Mets Host Palm Beach for 3 at First Data Field - St. Lucie Mets
- Minor League Baseball and the Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation - FSL
- Tampa Tarpons Game Notes: at Jupiter - Tampa Tarpons
- Dollar Tuesday by Regions Bank on July 17 - Clearwater Threshers
- Taps and Tacos by Tijuana Flats on July 19 - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Daytona Tortugas Stories
- Snoop Dogg's Puff Puff Pass Tour Coming to the Jack December 22, 2018
- Tortugas to Continue Affiliation with the Reds in Daytona Beach
- Tortugas Title Quest Falls Two Games Short After 8-5 Loss
- Tortugas Win, Force Game 4 at Home
- Tortugas Use Strong Antone Performance to Fight off Elimination