Toronto FC Signs Caleb Patterson-Sewell
Toronto FC announced Wednesday that the club has signed goalkeeper Caleb Patterson-Sewell after acquiring his rights from New York Red Bulls in exchange for Toronto FC's fourth round pick in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft.
Patterson-Sewell, 30, was invited to Toronto FC's pre-season camp last month in Los Angeles, California and recently traveled with the team to Mexico. Last season, Patterson was part of NASL side, Jacksonville Armada FC where he set the club's clean sheet record (10) and posted a record of 10-8-13 (W-L-D).
Patterson-Sewell's youth career began at Toowoomba Raiders of Australia, then spent time with Belgian club, R.S.C. Anderlecht and English sides, Sheffield Wednesday and Liverpool's U-19's. Patterson-Sewell signed professionally with USL Second Division team Cleveland City Stars for the 2007 season and helped them earn qualification into the US Open Cup that year. He then signed with the New York Red Bulls ahead of the 2008 season and remained with them for one year. Following his time with the Red Bulls, he joined the Carolina RailHawks of the USL for the 2009 season. At the end of the season he re-joined the Red Bulls on loan. Following his loan, Patterson-Sewell signed for USSF club, Miami FC as the club's starter for the 2010 season. He later re-joined the RailHawks in April 2011. He was then transferred to Atlético Clube de Portugal of Portugal's second division for the 2011-12 season. That season, he earned a nomination for the 2012 Goalkeeper of the Year award. Patterson-Sewell then spent three seasons in the Primera Liga (Portugal's first division) with Vitória Setúbal (2012-13) and Gil Vicente F.C. (2013-15). He joined NASL expansion club, Rayo OKC in January 2016 but left to sign for Portuguese side S.C. Farense in August 2016. In February 2017, Patterson-Sewell moved to Jacksonville for the 2017 NASL season.
Birthdate: May 20, 1987 (Age: 30)
Birthplace: Hendersonville, Tennessee
Last Club: Jacksonville Armada FC
How Acquired: Signed with Toronto FC on February 14, 2018, after club acquired MLS rights from New York Red Bulls
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 14, 2018
- Red Bulls and Sporting Kansas City Play to 1-1 Preseason Draw - New York Red Bulls
- Impact Wins 2-1 against Chicago Fire - Montreal Impact
- Fire Fall 2-1 to the Montreal Impact in Preseason Action - Chicago Fire
- Timbers Draw Houston Dynamo 1-1 in Preseason Match - Portland Timbers
- Dynamo Open Preseason Tournament with 1-1 Draw against Portland - Houston Dynamo
- Revolution Draw with FC Dallas, 2-2, in First Match of Mobile Mini Sun Cup - New England Revolution
- D.C. United, DC SCORES, and Screaming Eagles Announce Strategic Partnership - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Announces 2018 Broadcast Details - FC Dallas
- New York Red Bulls Acquire Fourth Round SuperDraft Pick from Toronto FC - New York Red Bulls
- Toronto FC Signs Caleb Patterson-Sewell - Toronto FC
- Wale Headlines Dynamo Opening Day Entertainment - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.