Tom Mannino Named General Manager and Director of Player Development of the Des Moines Buccaneers
URBANDALE, Iowa - The Des Moines Buccaneers announced the hiring of Tom Mannino as General Manager and Director of Player Development today.
"We are thrilled to introduce Tom Mannino to our team and our fans as the new General Manager and Director of Player Development of the Buccaneers," said organization president Nate Teut.
Added co-owner Scott Clemmensen, "We are excited to have Tom become a part of the Buccaneer family and we expect he will play a significant role in Des Moines Buccaneers hockey. He has been a successful scout, recruiter and developer of talent and we believe he will help rebuild this franchise."
Mannino comes to the Buccaneers after serving as a scout with the London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League the past four years. Mannino has played an instrumental role in the success of the Knights recently signing Antonio Stranges and Sahil Panwar. Additionally, he was responsible for aiding in the development of 1st round NHL pick and former Knight Max Jones. Mannino was the driving force behind the drafting, recruiting and signing of 2018 NHL draft eligible Knights defenseman Alec Regula. He also laid the foundation for Calgary Flames top goalie prospect Tyler Parsons, who went onto win a Memorial Cup in 2016 for the London Knights and a Gold Medal at the 2017 World Junior Championships for Team USA.
"There is something really special happening in Des Moines. The passion and vision of the new ownership group coupled with the strength and energy of the community is what makes the opportunity to lead the Buccaneers into the future so exciting. I can't wait to get started on restoring the tradition of success that has so proudly connected the community of Des Moines with elite junior hockey. The opportunity to work for a first-class ownership group is something that made the decision for my wife Suzy and I very easy. It's an honor to accept this role."
In addition to his success as a scout, Mannino brings with him eight years of head coaching experience at the highest levels of AAA as well as 5 years of Michigan High School Hockey. As Head Coach of Detroit Little Caesars, Mannino mentored Florida native Jakob Chychrun, the 16th overall pick in the 2016 NHL Draft by the Arizona Coyotes. Through the years, Mannino has worked with numerous players who have gone on to successful careers in the NHL, NCAA, USHL and CHL.
As a player, the Farmington Hills, MI native was the 10th overall pick by the London Knights in the 2003 OHL draft. After four seasons of junior hockey in the OHL and USHL, Mannino played two seasons for the University of Calgary in the CIS. Following two seasons in Calgary, Mannino returned to Detroit to establish the roots of his professional coaching career.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 28, 2018
- Penalty Killing and Late Excitement - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tom Mannino Named General Manager and Director of Player Development of the Des Moines Buccaneers - Des Moines Buccaneers
- Steel Season Ends with Overtime Loss Friday - Chicago Steel
- U.S. National Under-17 Team Advances to USHL Eastern Conference Final - U.S. National Team
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Des Moines Buccaneers Stories
- Bucs Acquire Brady Meyer from Central Illinois for Phase II Pick
- Des Moines Buccaneers Announce the Hiring of Former NCAA Coach & NHL Scout Gene Reilly as Their Head Coach
- Des Moines Secures Welsher & Pick in Two-For-One Trade with Green Bay
- Bucs Acquire Boston College Commit TJ Walsh from Cedar Rapids
- Bucs Sign Isaac Novak and Patrick Schmiedlin to USHL Tenders Ahead of Draft