Tips Skate Past T-Birds
EVERETT - The Everett Silvertips defeated the Seattle Thunderbirds 3-2 at Xfinity Arena in the first game of a home-and-home series between the two teams.
The T-Birds and Silvertips meet at accesso ShoWare Center at 7:05pm.
Seattle (9-9-1-1) took a 1-0 lead at 9:12 of the first period. Matthew Wedman came out from behind the Everett net and made a wraparound attempt. The puck came into the slot to Blake Bargar who took a shot that was blocked. Bargar got the rebound and took a second shot. Nolan Volcan backhanded the rebound from Bargar's second shot past Everett goalie Carter Hart from the low slot for his seventh goal of the season.
The T-Birds outshot the Silvertips 12-5 in the first period.
Everett (10-10-1-1) tied the game 1-1 at 13:01 of the second period on an unassisted shorthanded goal by Patrick Bajkov.
Seattle had a 21-13 advantage in shots after periods by outshooting Everett 9-8 in the second period.
Everett took a 2-1 lead at 15:10 of the third period when Reece Vitelli knocked in a rebound from a Sean Richards shot. Wyatte Wylie had the second assist.
Seattle pulled goalie Liam Hughes with just under a minute left in the game for an extra attacker. Richards was able to score an empty-net goal at 19:17 of the third to get the Silvertips third goal.
The T-Birds pulled Hughes a second time 10 seconds after the faceoff from Everett's third goal. Volcan got the puck in the slot took a shot, got his rebound and beat Hart high for the T-Birds second goal at 19:49 of the third.
Hughes stayed on the bench with 11 seconds left for the extra attacker. The T-Birds were not able to find the tying goal in the finals seconds.
Seattle outshot Everett 33-27 in the game.
Hughes record is now 4-4-1-0 after he stopped 23 of 25 shots.
Hart stopped 31 of 33 shots and his record is 5-2-0-1.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2017
- Regina Pats (1) vs Portland Winterhawks (3) - Regina Pats
- CALGARY HITMEN Broncos 2 Hitmen 1 Shootout - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Kick off U.S. Division Road Trip in Portland - Regina Pats
- Raiders 1, Americans 4 - Prince Albert Raiders
- Giants Drop a 6-2 Decision in Kamloops - Vancouver Giants
- Royals Shut out Chiefs - Victoria Royals
- Tips Skate Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Kelowna (7) Lethbridge (4) - Kelowna Rockets
- Chiefs Fall to Victoria Royals, 1-0 - Spokane Chiefs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.