Timbers Weekly Update: May 9, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers continue their 12-game road trip to begin the season with a match against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Friday, May 10, at BC Place. Beginning at 7 p.m. (Pacific), Friday's match will feature a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland (3-5-1, 10pts) recorded its third straight win, posting a 2-1 victory on the road against Real Salt Lake on May 4. With the win, the Timbers registered three consecutive road wins for the third time in MLS play and the first time since 2015. Diego Valeri and Sebastián Blanco each tallied their second goals of the 2019 campaign in the match. Blanco has scored a goal or recorded an assist in four straight matches.
Valeri recorded his 70th career MLS goal in Portland's win on the road against Real Salt Lake. With the goal, Valeri became the ninth player in MLS history to record 70 goals and 70 assists. He is the first player who debuted in MLS after the 2001 season to reach this mark. Blanco added his 20th career goal for the Timbers against Real Salt Lake to become the sixth player across all eras for Portland to record at least 20 goals and 20 assists.
Friday's match marks the 23rd meeting all-time in MLS regular-season play between Portland and Vancouver in MLS play, with Diego Valeri tallying five goals and seven assists in the series. The Timbers are 10-6-6 in regular-season league play, including a mark of 4-4-2 at BC Place. Portland has won three of the last five matches against Whitecaps FC. Vancouver (2-5-3, 10pts) enters Friday's match coming off a 3-2 win on the road against the Colorado Rapids on May 3. Eight different players have scored a goal for Whitecaps FC this season, including Doneil Henry and Fredy Montero, who lead the team with two goals each.
Extended road trip
The Timbers continue their extended road swing with their ninth match as part of their first 12 games on the road to begin the season. Portland's 12-game road trip to start the 2019 season is due to completion work on the $85 million transformation of Providence Park. During that stretch, the Timbers will travel roughly 30,000 miles, including trips to Cincinnati, Dallas, Columbus, Toronto, Houston and Philadelphia.
Facing a quick turnaround, the Timbers take on the Houston Dynamo in a midweek match on Wednesday, May 15, at BBVA Compass Stadium. Beginning at 5:30 p.m. (Pacific), the May 15 match will feature a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 9, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 9, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Receive $175,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Launches "Women in Sports Week" - Los Angeles FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign New York Native Alex Muyl to New MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Announces Community Partnership with WSS - Los Angeles FC
- Brad Friedel Relieved of Duties as New England Revolution Head Coach - New England Revolution
- LAFC Announces Time Change for Home Match against Galaxy - Los Angeles FC
- TeleXitos to Televise Dynamo Away Games in Spanish - Houston Dynamo
- Time Changed for Columbus Home Game - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Time Change for August 25th Road Match against FC Cincinnati - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Comes from Behind to Defeat Red Bulls 2-1 in New Jersey - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Midfielder Dairon Asprilla Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Meniscus Repair Procedure
- Portland Timbers and Seattle Sounders FC Announce Special "SEAvPDX Week" to Recognize Rivalry with Unique Content and Activities
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Wins Week 3 of MLS Idle
- Thorns Academy Joins Elite Clubs National League Girls
- Portland Timbers to Return to Individual Workouts Thursday