Timbers Weekly Update: May 23, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers play their 12th consecutive road game when they square off against the Philadelphia Union at Talen Energy Stadium on Saturday, May 25, to conclude the longest stretch of road matches in MLS history. Beginning at 4:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match will feature a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Record road warriors
Playing their 11th consecutive road match of the season on May 15 against the Houston Dynamo, Portland set a record for the longest road trip in MLS history, surpassing the previous high of 10 consecutive away matches played by Sporting Kansas City in 2011. The Timbers' 12-game road trip to start the 2019 season is due to completion work on the $85 million transformation of Providence Park. During that stretch, the team will travel roughly 30,000 miles, including trips to Cincinnati, Dallas, Columbus, Toronto, Houston and Philadelphia. The Timbers will return to Providence Park for their 2019 home opener on June 1 against Los Angeles FC and will play 17 of their final 22 games at home.
The Timbers (3-6-2, 11pts) earned a point on the road with a 1-1 draw against the Dynamo in their last match on May 15. Brian Fernandez scored his first goal for Portland just 12 minutes after entering the match. With his goal, Fernandez became the fifth player to score in his MLS debut while playing for the Timbers. Sebastián Blanco notched the assist on Fernandez's game-tying goal to bring his season total to five assists. Blanco has recorded five or more assists in each of his last three seasons, becoming one of just four MLS players with at least five assists during that span.
Saturday's match marks the 10th meeting all-time between Portland and Philadelphia. The Timbers have posted a record of 5-1-3 all-time against the Union, including a mark of 1-1-2 in road matches. Portland has won each of its last three matches against Philadelphia, outscoring the Union 8-2 in those matches. The Timbers recorded a 3-1 win in their last road match against the Union on April 8, 2017. Philadelphia (7-3-3, 24pts) enters Saturday unbeaten in its last six games (4-0-2). The Union rank second in MLS in goals scored (23) and are tied for the second-fewest goals conceded (12) in the league.
The Timbers play their 2019 home opener Providence Park on Saturday, June 1, against Los Angeles FC. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a national television broadcast on ESPN2 with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 23, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 23, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Looks to Extend Unbeaten Streak to Seven on Friday Night against Montreal Impact - Los Angeles FC
- Impact Visits Los Angeles FC Friday Night - Montreal Impact
- Eight Houston Dynamo Players Available for Fans to Vote for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - Houston Dynamo
- Eight LAFC Players Named to 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Ballot - Los Angeles FC
- Eight Real Salt Lake Players on 2019 MLS All-Star Ballot - Real Salt Lake
- Eight Impact Players Nominated for the 2019 MLS All-Star Game - Montreal Impact
- Fan Voting Launches for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - D.C. United
- Fan Voting Launches for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - Atlanta United FC
- Fan Voting Launches for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - MLS
- Minnesota United Announces Long-Term Partnership with National Sports Center - Minnesota United FC
- Eight FC Dallas Player Available for Fans to Vote for 2019 MLS All-Star Game Fan XI Presented by Target - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Defending MLS Cup Champion Atlanta United FC Friday at Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club, Lansing Ignite FC Form Alliance - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Real Salt Lake - Atlanta United FC
- Preview: Orlando City Hosts La Galaxy on Friday - Orlando City SC
- By the Numbers: GPG vs. Galaxy - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Acquire Future MLS SuperDraft Pick from Real Salt Lake in Exchange for T2 Forward Ryan Sierakowski
- Portland Timbers Ask for Assist to Stop COVID-19
- Timbers Group F Schedule Set for MLS Is Back Tournament
- Timbers Sign Defender Zac McGraw
- Timbers Acquire Defender Pablo Bonilla