Timbers Weekly Update: July 12, 2018
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers will travel to face Los Angeles FC in a nationally televised contest at Banc of California Stadium on Sunday, July 15. Beginning at 3 p.m. (Pacific), Sunday's match will be broadcast live on ESPN with local radio broadcasts on 750 AM/102.9 FM The Game (English) and La GranD 1150 AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Heading into Sunday's match, the Timbers (8-3-5, 29pts) are riding a 13-game unbeaten streak (10-0-3) across all competitions, including an 11-game unbeaten run (8-0-3) in league play since April 14. Most recently, the Timbers are coming off a 2-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park on July 7, tallying their third straight win over the Earthquakes in 2018. With the result, Portland currently holds the longest unbeaten run (11 games) in the league this season. Forward Samuel Armenteros scored two goals in the win over San Jose, extending his season tally to six goals, while midfielder Diego Valeri notched two assists, marking his second straight multi-assist league game. With his two assists, Valeri became the first MLS player this decade to tally five assists over the course of two back-to-back matches.
Approaching the halfway point of the 2018 campaign, the Timbers have been one of the league's stingiest defenses through their first 16 games in league play, allowing just 22 goals. Portland's 22 goals conceded ranks tied as the third-fewest in MLS this season. Additionally, in their last 10 games, the Timbers have allowed just eight goals and have also notched four clean sheets during that stretch.
Sunday's contest marks the second all-time meeting between Portland and LAFC, with the California-based club joining MLS as an expansion club in 2018. Both teams previously met at Providence Park on May 19, with Portland taking a 2-1 win to record the first victory in the head-to-head series between the two clubs. Armenteros and midfielder Cristhian Paredes each tallied a goal in the May 19 victory for Portland.
LAFC (10-4-4, 34pts) enters Sunday's game riding a seven-match unbeaten streak across all competitions, tallying six wins and one draw during that stretch. The team's most recent match took place against Orlando City SC at Banc of California Stadium on July 7, with LAFC taking a 4-1 win over the Eastern Conference club. At Banc of California Stadium, LAFC is one of three Western Conference teams, along with the Timbers and FC Dallas, to hold an unbeaten home record (5-0-3) at this stage of the season. Forward Adama Diomande leads the team in goals scored (9), while midfielder Diego Rossi has the most assists on the team (6).
Following Sunday's game, the Timbers will play a second consecutive match against LAFC at Banc of California Stadium when both teams meet in the quarterfinal of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup on Wednesday, July 18, beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers defender Alvas Powell in studio.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. This week's guests included Timbers goalkeeper coach Guillermo "Memo" Valencia and midfielder Diego Chara. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 750 The Game or listen online at www.750thegame.com. Available podcasts can be downloaded at www.timbers.com/news/timbers-podcast-network.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: July 12, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Kerri Walsh Jennings' Event Series p1440 Announces Avaya Stadium as San Jose Venue - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Foundation to Co-Host First Street Soccer USA Cup - Los Angeles - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Partners with Purple - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski Selected to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Andrew Carleton, Lagos Kunga Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Sean Melvin Named to MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Liam Fraser Named to the 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Named to Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Efrain Alvarez Named to Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Ben Mines Selected to Play in MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - New York Red Bulls
- Kuzain and Lindsey Named to MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake FW Sebastian Saucedo Named to the 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Real Salt Lake
- Reggie Cannon and Paxton Pomykal Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - FC Dallas
- U.S., Mexico and Canada Youth National Team Stars Highlight Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - MLS
- Four Philadelphia Union Players Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Transfers Defender Omar Gaber to Egyptian Side Pyramids FC - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Signs Argentine Defender NicolÃ¡s Del Grecco - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: New York and Sporting Kansas Square off on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Fall 4-3 to Philadelphia Union - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Allstate Award Local Schools Champions of Play Grants
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Named Alcatel MLS Player of the Week
- Flores, Guzman, Paredes, Polo Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Record 4-1 Road Win over Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 4, 2018