Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Timbers midfielder Diego Valeri was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 12th week of the 2020 MLS season, it was announced today.
Valeri registered two goals and an assist in Portland's 6-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes at Earthquake Stadium on Sept. 19. During the 2020 MLS regular season, Valeri has tallied a team-leading six goals and five assists in 11 appearances (9 starts). In 15 appearances (12 starts) across all competitions for Portland in 2020, Valeri has posted seven goals and eight assists. Portland is tied for fourth in the Western Conference standings with 18 points (5-4-3 overall record).
The Argentine midfielder became the sixth player in MLS history to convert 20 penalties in regular-season play when he gave the Timbers the lead in the 25th minute (Watch Goal). Valeri tallied a brace, his ninth regular-season two-goal performance for the Timbers, in the 57th minute after his low strike from the top of the box flew into the net (Watch Goal). Valeri notched his fifth assist of the season on an in-swinging delivery from a corner kick that Julio Cascante headed into the back of the net in the 85th minute (Watch Assist).
The award marks Valeri's fifth time winning MLS Player of the Week honors.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Next up, Portland returns to Providence Park on Wednesday, Sept. 23 to square off against Cascadia-rival Seattle Sounders FC. Beginning at 7 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPTV) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 21, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 21, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- LAFC Announces Theme Nights for Remaining Home Matches in September - Los Angeles FC
- Portland Timbers Midfielder Diego ValeriVoted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Valeri Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Colorado Rapids vs San Jose Earthquakes: Keys to the Match: September 23, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- By the Numbers: Aiming for a New Club Record - Orlando City SC
- Lions Continue to Climb the Table - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Undeterred After Loss to Eastern Conference Leaders Columbus Crew SC - Nashville SC
- Houston Dynamo Transfer Alberth Elis to Boavista FC in Portugal - Houston Dynamo
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 21, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Lion's Share Hospitality to bring Exciting Food and Beverage Options to FC Cincinnati Fans - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Travel to Face Real Salt Lake Tonight at Rio Tinto Stadium
- Timbers Record 3-0 Win against San Jose Earthquakes at Providence Park