Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup against Phoenix Rising FC
TUCSON, Ariz. - Playing their fifth match of the 2019 preseason campaign, presented by Old Trapper Beef Jerky, the Portland Timbers continued play in the Mobile Mini Sun Cup, falling 1-0 to Phoenix Rising FC at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Ariz., on Wednesday night.
Defender Jorge Moreira, who was signed earlier in the day from Superliga Argentina side River Plate, played his first preseason match as a member of the Timbers on Wednesday, logging 45 minutes of action in the second half. Forward Foster Langsdorf, defender Modou Jadama and midfielder Eryk Williamson each made their first appearances in the Mobile Mini Sun Cup. A total of 26 different players saw the field in the penultimate game in Tucson for the Timbers, who are now 3-1-1 this preseason, including a 1-1-1 record in the Mobile Mini Sun Cup.
In their first attacking chance of the match, Timbers midfielder Renzo Zambrano's shot from distance was fired over the crossbar in the 11th minute. Seven minutes later, midfielder Diego Valeri played a lofted a ball from the right wing to forward Jeremy Ebobisse, but his low shot from inside the box was saved by onrushing Phoenix goalkeeper Carl Woszczynski.
In the 29th minute, Valeri picked out midfielder Dairon Asprilla at the center of the box, firing his shot into the arms of Woszczynski. Three minutes later, Asprilla was first to a loose ball just outside the 18-yard box, but his half-volleyed shot missed over the crossbar.
Starting the second half on the front foot, midfielder Sebastián Blanco carried down the right flank and cut the ball back into the center of the box to midfielder Andy Polo, who let the ball run past him and curled a left-footed shot that struck the far post in the 53rd minute.
Continuing to search for a goal, midfielder Marvin Loría played a scooped pass to forward Foster Langsdorf in the center of the penalty area, but his shot was dragged wide of the post in the 78th minute. Four minutes later, midfielder Eryk Williamson laid the ball off to Cristhian Paredes on the edge of the box, forcing Woszczynski into a save.
Phoenix Rising FC took a 1-0 lead late in the match when forward Adam Jahn cut in from the left wing and fired his shot into the top corner of the net in the 87th minute.
In stoppage time, Polo's low shot from a tight angle inside the penalty area was saved by Woszczynski.
In their final game of the Mobile Mini Sun Cup, the Timbers will face Real Salt Lake on Saturday, Feb. 23; kickoff is set for 4 p.m. (Pacific) with a live stream available at www.timbers.com. To purchase tickets to the Mobile Mini Sun Cup, click here.
Portland Timbers vs. Phoenix Rising FC (MLS Preseason)
Feb. 20, 2019 - Kino Sports Complex (Tucson, Ariz.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 0 0
Phoenix Rising FC 0 1 1
PHX: Jahn (Flemmings), 87
POR: Dielna (caution, 70)
PHX: Dia (caution, 71)
POR: Blanco (ejection, 90)
PHX: Mala (ejection, 90)
POR: GK Clark, D Farfan (Valentin, 26), D Mabiala, D Jadama, D Villafaña, M Guzmán (Flores, 38), M Zambrano (Chara, 38), M Asprilla, M Valeri, M Conechny, F Ebobisse (Melano, 38)
POR: GK Attinella, D Moreira, D Cascante, D Dielna, D Valentin (Miller*, 76), M Chara (Paredes, 76), M Flores (Williamson, 76), M Polo, M Blanco, M Loría, F Melano (Langsdorf, 76)
* Indicates Timbers guest player/trialist
PHX: GK Woszczynski, D Brewer Jr.*, D Farrell (Mala, 63), D Batista* (Cochran, 63), D Dia, M Musa, M Lambert (Vega, 63), M Aguinaga (Fernandez, 76), F Asante, F Flemings, F Jahn
*Indicates guest player/trialist
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2019
- Montreal Draws 0-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies - Montreal Impact
- Orlando Claims Inaugural Orlando City Invitational Trophy - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup against Phoenix Rising FC - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC in Final Match of Orlando City Invitational - New England Revolution
- Lamah's late goal equalizes as Orange and Blue stay atop Carolina Challenge Cup standings - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Take Road Victory in SCCL Leg 1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Battle FC Cincinnati to a 1-1 Draw in Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Acosta, Rosenberry and Rubio Pen Long-Term Deals with Colorado - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Club Nacional (International Friendly) - February 20, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fan-Focused Menu Options Coming to Houston Dynamo & Dash Home Games - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Announce Loans for Bradford Jamieson IV and Joao Pedro - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Beats Real Salt Lake 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-1 to FC Dallas in Mobile Mini Sun Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Acquire Paraguayan International Jorge Moreira on Loan - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Opens 2019 MLS Season with Innovative Culinary Enhancements at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2019 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy and Dignity Health Sports Park Name El Silencio Their Exclusive Mezcal Partner - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Partner with On the Ball to Provide Complimentary Feminine Hygiene Products - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Named to Fast Company's Annual List of the World's Most Innovative Companies for 2019 - Los Angeles FC
- Late Goal Gives Dynamo Crucial 1-0 Win on the Road in Champions League - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 17, 2019
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications
- Paredes, Zambrano Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs with 3-1 Win over San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 3, 2019