Tiger-Cats Sign Quarterback Moniz and Two Offensive Linemen
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Thursday that the football club has signed three international free agents on offence, including quarterback Bryant Moniz, and offensive linemen Casey Blaser and Wil Freeman.
Moniz, 29, has suited up in 38 career CFL games with the Calgary Stampeders (2014-15) and Saskatchewan Roughriders (2016) as a backup and short-yardage quarterback, completing two of four passes for 29 yards and a touchdown, and adding 37 carries for 109 rushing yards and six rushing touchdowns. The 6-0, 205-pound native of Wahiawa, Hawaii, was a member of Calgary's 2014 Grey Cup championship team.
Prior to turning pro, Moniz played three seasons at the University of Hawaii (2009-11) and threw for 10,169 yards and 75 touchdowns in 34 games. He also rushed for 512 yards and 13 touchdowns, and established a number of school records including 560 passing yards in one game (Nov. 20, 2010, against San Jose State) and seven passing touchdowns in one half (Sept. 24, 2011, against UC Davis).
Blaser, 24, served just over two weeks on the Tiger-Cats practice roster at the end of the 2017 season after attending rookie minicamp with the National Football League's Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions. The 6-5, 290-pound native of Charlotte, North Carolina, played 40 games over four seasons at Duke University (2013-16), including 38 consecutive starts at right tackle during his final three seasons. He was an honourable mention All-ACC selection in 2015, and was credited with a touchdown after recovering a Duke offensive fumble in the end zone against Wake Forest during the 2014 regular season finale.
Freeman, 23, signed as an undrafted free agent with the NFL's Atlanta Falcons on May 1, 2017, and attended training camp before being released on August 30. The 6-6, 275-pound native of Flowood, Mississippi, played 45 games over five seasons at the University of Southern Mississippi (2012-16), suiting up at multiple positions. Predominantly a defensive end, the versatile Freeman converted to the offensive line in 2016 and started 13 games at left tackle in his senior season. Overall, he posted 41 career total tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, one quarterback sack and two pass break ups with the Golden Eagles, and was named to the 2012-13 Conference USA Commissioner's Academic Honor Roll as a freshman.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from February 8, 2018
- Wall Returns to Red and White - Calgary Stampeders
- Dan Federkeil Announces Retirement - Calgary Stampeders
- Tiger-Cats Sign Quarterback Moniz and Two Offensive Linemen - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Eskimos Extend Lochard and Jones - Edmonton Eskimos
- Canadian Receiver Devon Bailey Signs Extension - Saskatchewan Roughriders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hamilton Tiger-Cats Stories
- Tiger-Cats Sign International Wide Receiver Ryan
- Tiger-Cats Sign Seven 2018 CFL Draft Selections
- Former NFL Quarterback & Heisman Trophy Winner Manziel Signs with Tiger-Cats
- Tiger-Cats Sign Seven International Free Agents
- Offensive Lineman Girard Comes out of Retirement to Rejoin Tiger-Cats