Tiger-Cats Re-Sign Four Former Draft Picks
The Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced Monday, the club has re-signed four national players, including long snapper Gordon Whyte (pictured), linebacker Jarek Richards, offensive lineman Joseph Bencze and defensive lineman Malcolm Campbell.
Whyte, 24, appeared in all 14 regular season games and all three playoff games for the Tiger-Cats in 2021, serving as the team's long snapper and registering four special teams tackles and one fumble recovery. The 6'2, 240-pound native of Toronto, Ontario, was originally selected by the Tiger-Cats in the eighth round, 67th overall, in the 2019 Canadian Football League Draft after playing five seasons (2015-19) at St. Francis Xavier University.
Richards, 26, appeared in five regular season games for the Tiger-Cats in 2021, registering one special teams tackle. The 5'11, 200-pound native of Montreal, Quebec, was originally selected by the Tiger-Cats in the fourth round, 36th overall, in the 2021 CFL Draft after playing three seasons (2017-19) at Saint Mary's University.
Bencze, 25, appeared in one regular season game for the Tiger-Cats in 2021 after spending most of the season on the practice roster. The 6'5, 287-pound native of Peterborough, Ontario, was originally selected by the Tiger-Cats in the fifth round, 45th overall, in the 2020 CFL Draft after playing four seasons (2016-19) at McMaster University.
Campbell, 25, spent training camp with the Tiger-Cats in 2019 and 2021 after being originally selected by the Tiger-Cats in the eighth round, 65th overall, in the 2019 CFL Draft. The 6'3, 240-pound native of Mississauga, Ontario, played 37 games over five seasons (2015-16, 18-19, 21') at the University of Toronto registering 149 total tackles, 29 tackles for loss, 19.5 quarterback sacks, three forced fumbles, six fumble recoveries, three pass blocks and one blocked kick.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 17, 2022
- Lions Launch Stop Overdose Campaign to Help Address Stigma Around Addictions - B.C. Lions
- Tiger-Cats Re-Sign Four Former Draft Picks - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Argos Lock up All-Star K/P Bede and WR Daniels - Toronto Argonauts
- Rose and Wiggan Ink Two-Year Deals - Calgary Stampeders
- Blue Bombers Extend Contract of Winnipeg-Born Offensive Lineman Geoff Gray - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- John Bowman Joins Lions as Defensive Line Coach - B.C. Lions
- National Wide Receiver Justin Mcinnis Remains in Green and White - Saskatchewan Roughriders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hamilton Tiger-Cats Stories
- Tiger-Cats Sign American Offensive Lineman Riley
- Four American players added to the roster on the third day of camp
- Canadian Football Hall of Fame Opens Its Doors to 2020 and 2021 Classes
- Tiger-Cats Add Two Americans to Training Camp Roster
- Tiger-Cats Training Set Camp Schedule