Three-Run Sixth Lifts Thunder over Squirrels
Three consecutive run-scoring hits in the bottom of the sixth proved to be the difference Wednesday night as the Thunder defeated the Richmond Flying Squirrels, 4-2, at ARM & HAMMER Park.
Trailing 1-0, the Thunder (1-0) got a leadoff triple from Matt Lipka to open the bottom of the fifth inning. After a groundout and a strikeout, Ben Ruta hit a hard grounder up the middle to plate Lipka for the tying run. Mandy Alvarez then hit a liner to left field that Richmond's Jalen Miller dived for and missed, resulting in a go-ahead RBI-double. Brandon Wagner then drove in Alvarez with a single to cap the rally and give the Thunder a 3-1 lead.
After the Thunder scrapped for an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh, the Flying Squirrels (0-1) trimmed their deficit to two runs on a Gio Brusa RBI-double off reliever Will Carter in the eighth. Carter worked around two walks in the ninth inning to seal the win and record his second career save.
Albert Abreu (4-5) earned the win for the Thunder, striking out six over five innings and allowing just one run on a first-inning groundout.
Right-hander Brandon Lawson (2-3) was efficient for Richmond, with the exception of a lengthy 28-pitch fifth inning as the Thunder pieced together their go-ahead rally.
Kyle Holder and Matt Lipka collected two hits each for the Thunder, while Rashad Crawford went 1-for-4 to extend his on-base streak to 10 games.
The win locked down a series victory for the Thunder, who have won eight of ten series played at ARM & HAMMER Park this season.
Your Thunder conclude their hoemstand on Thursday at 7 p.m. against the Flying Squirrels. RHP Nick Nelson (2-1, 2.45) will start for the Thunder, and LHP Caleb Baragar (2-0, 2.38) will go for Richmond. Thirsty Thursday drink specials will be available up until the seventh inning for fans 21 and over, and the evening includes a postgame fireworks show. Tickets are available by phone at 609-394-3300 or online at TrentonThunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 19, 2019
- Baysox Big League Yard Goats to Launch Second Half - Hartford Yard Goats
- Marvel Dominates Senators in Second Half Opener - Altoona Curve
- Ponies Knock off Cats on Mazeika's Big Hit in 10th - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Three-Run Sixth Lifts Thunder over Squirrels - Trenton Thunder
- Knight's Three Hits Not Enough in 'Cats Extra-Inning Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: GM 64 Rumble Ponies at New Hampshire Fisher Cats - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- SeaWolves Begin Second Half with a Victory - Erie SeaWolves
- Wade with Seven Innings But Erie Wins 3-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Sea Dogs Game Notes June 19th at Erie SeaWolves - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2020 Thunder Season Canceled Due to COVID-19
- Update from the Trenton Thunder
- Individual Tickets on Sale Thursday, Promotional Schedule Revealed for 2020 Season
- Swing into 2020 with New Entertainment Suite at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Name Revealed for 4th Generation of Thunder Bat Dog Tradition