Thorns FC Midfielder Lindsey Horan Named Nwsl Player of the Week
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Thorns FC midfielder Lindsey Horan was named the National Women's Soccer League (NWSL) Player of the Week by the NWSL Media Association for Week 8, it was announced today.
Horan scored her first two goals of the season, tallying a first-half brace to help Thorns FC extend their unbeaten streak to six games (3-0-3) with a 2-0 win on the road against Sky Blue FC on June 3.
The Golden, Colo., native opened the scoring in the 20th minute, connecting with a Nadia Nadim free kick and delivering a powerful diving header into the far right corner of the goal. Horan doubled Portland's lead in the 42nd minute, directing a pinpoint cross played into the near post by Meghan Klingenberg for the finish.
It is the first time Horan has been honored as the NWSL Player of the Week and the 12th time a Thorns FC player has won the award.
The NWSL Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by the NWSL Media Association, a collection of writers covering the league on a consistent basis. For more information on the NWSL Media Association, follow them on Twitter.
Thorns FC (4-1-3, 15pts) return to action after the international break, playing host to Sky Blue FC on Saturday, June 17, at Providence Park.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from June 6, 2017
- Quotes from Conference Call with Houston Dash Interim Head Coach Omar Morales - Houston Dash
- Thorns FC Midfielder Lindsey Horan Named Nwsl Player of the Week - Portland Thorns FC
- Portland Thorns FC Midfielder Lindsey Horan Voted NWSL Player of the Week - Portland Thorns FC
- Fans Encouraged to Arrive Early - NWSL
- Dash Name Omar Morales Interim Head Coach - Houston Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.