The Real Keel Lifts Missions Past 'Hounds
An impressive outing from All-Star lefty Jerry Keel helped San Antonio blank Midland 3-0 Friday before a sellout Used Car Night crowd of 7,456 at Wolff Stadium.
The Missions, looking to build on Thursday's series-opening win, called upon Keel to stymie the RockHounds once again. The 6'6 hurler surrendered just one hit over the first six innings, allowing his team to piece together some offense against mound opponent Parker Dunshee (0-1).
San Antonio did just that in the third when Fernando Tatis Jr. took the righty's 1-1 pitch over the wall in left for the game's first run.
In the fifth, the Missions provided Keel some breathing room by starting the inning with three straight singles, the last of which, off the bat of Josh Naylor, scoring two runs.
Keel (6-2) kept the 3-0 lead, allowing just three hits and three walks, while striking out five over seven and a third innings. Eric Yardley and Brad Wieck (10th save) combined on the last five outs to wrap up San Antonio's league-best eighth shutout of the season.
San Antonio (2-2, 44-30) continues its four-game series with Midland (0-4, 33-40) Saturday night. The Missions will be wearing special Sandlot-themed jerseys that will be auctioned off throughout the game with all proceeds benefiting State of Texas Kidney Foundation. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM. Right-hander Jesse Scholtens (4-1, 2.80) will get the ball for the Missions, while the 'Hounds counter with lefty Jesus Luzardo (4-3, 3.40). Following the game there will be a special fireworks show courtesy of the Kidney Foundation.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 22, 2018
- Late Rally Caps 3-2 Cardinals Win on Margaritaville Night - Springfield Cardinals
- Shutout Sends Hooks to Ninth Straight Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Late Lead Doesn't Hold up in Loss at Springfield - Arkansas Travelers
- Drillers Turn Tables on Naturals in 9-3 Win - Tulsa Drillers
- Gutierrez Homers in Naturals' Loss at Tulsa - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Arredondo Nearly Flawless in Debut, Riders Fall 4-0 - Frisco RoughRiders
- The Real Keel Lifts Missions Past 'Hounds - San Antonio Missions
- Limited Tickets Available to Drillers Back-To-Back Firework Shows Starting Tonight - Tulsa Drillers
- Cesar Makes Texas League History in Win - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Missions Stories
- San Antonio Named Finalist for Inaugural MiLB Copa de la Diversion
- Missions Announce New Head Groundskeeper
- Missions Staff to Renovate Little League Field
- Missions Home Game Times Announced
- Elmore Sports Group Names 2018 Organization of the Year by Ballpark Digest