Texas Heads Into Postseason With Win, Beat Bugs 4-2
NORTH RICHLAND HILLS, TX - The Brahmas sent their fans home with an extra special gift on Fan Appreciation Night as they took down the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs 4-2 in the final regular season game of the year.
In front of a raucous sold out crowd at the NYTEX Sports Centre the Brahmas first shift converted on the first shot of the night when Matt Pierce caught John DeCaro off guard in his net :24 seconds in the game. Texas found themselves on the powerplay after a hooking call on Dave Pszenyczny and with 19 ticks remaining forward James Hiebert found Grant Jacobsen set up in front for a two goal lead. The assist by Hiebert was his 300th career point. In the same amount of time it took to pick up the mini bulls' thrown by Brahmas fans off the ice following the goal was about the same amount of time it took for Lee Jubinville to give the Brahmas a three goal lead with assists from Adam Chorneyko and Matt Burto.
The I-20 rivalry heated up when Ross Rouleau cross checked Brett Smith along the boards sending James DeLory into a frenzy, earning an early exit from the game. Texas forward Tyler Skworchinski, who intervened in the chaos, also earned a game misconduct. The Mudbugs were able to beat Joe Palmer in the second when Jamie Milam netted his second goal of the season on his backhand with under a minute remaining in the period.
Bossier came within one when David Rutherford blasted a shot :34 seconds into the final period. A pass from Matt Burto up the ice to Chorneyko set up Texas' fourth goal when the rookie forward roofed it over DeCaro's left shoulder.
Texas begins Round One of the playoffs on Monday when they travel to Corpus Christi to take on the IceRays in Game One in the best of three series. The Brahmas host Game Two on Wednesday at the NYTEX Sports Centre and Game Three (if necessary) on Thursday. Faceoff time is 7:05 PM; for tickets please contact the Brahmas Box Office at (817) 336-4423 or visit www.brahmas.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 20, 2010
- Eagles End Regular Season With Win - Colorado Eagles
- Rush Drop Final Game of the Regular Season 4-2 - Rapid City Rush
- Golf Tournament Rescheduled; Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Brahmas Top 'Bugs to End Regular Season - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Americans end regular season with 5-3 win over Gorillas in front of a sellout crowd - Allen Americans
- IceRays Beat Killer Bees 6-3 In Regular Season Finale - Corpus Christi IceRays
- RiverKings Enter Playoffs After Another Win Over Tulsa - Mississippi RiverKings
- Jacks Earn Franchise Record 48th Win - Odessa Jackalopes
- Bucks Bring The Thunder, Win Finale 7-4 - Laredo Bucks
- Thunder Ends Season With Loss - Wichita Thunder
- Amarillo Ends Season in Allen - Amarillo Gorillas
- Texas Heads Into Postseason With Win, Beat Bugs 4-2 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Get Your Playoff Tickets Now - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Bucks Close Out Regular Season Tonight - Laredo Bucks
- Mudbugs Down Mavs On "Jim Sprott Night" - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Mudbugs to Open Playoffs Against Eagles - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Rush Win Northern Conference Title Despite 5-4 Shootout Loss to Gorillas - Rapid City Rush
- Nothing Special: 'Dogs Net 7 on Special Teams in Win - Colorado Eagles
- Arizona Tallies Franchise-Record Six Power-Play Goals in 7-6 Win - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.