Tendler Walks It off in the 10th, 5-2 Win over Trenton
Portland, Maine - Luke Tendler hit a walk-off three-run homer in the bottom of the 10th and the Sea Dogs (50-68) took the series opener over the Trenton Thunder (65-54) on Tuesday night at Hadlock Field.
Trailing 2-1 in the bottom of the 10th, the Sea Dogs were down to their final out when Tate Matheny hit a game-tying single off of Matt Wivinis (L, 0-1). Tendler - who had pinch hit in the ninth - came up next and provided the game-winning blast, the first walk-off win for the Sea Dogs in 2018.
In the top of the 10th, Mandy Alvarez hit an RBI double off of Jordan Weems to put Trenton temporarily ahead 2-1.
Weems (3-3) earned the victory with two innings of relief, the righty allowed one unearned run on one hit while walking one and striking out one.
Portland had tied the game with two outs in the bottom of the eighth when Michael Chavis and Bobby Dalbec doubled on back-to-back pitches off of David Sosebee to make it 1-1.
Bruce Caldwell doubled with one out in the eighth off Adam Lau (L,0-4) in a 0-0 game. After Lau induced a flyout from Mandy Alvarez and walked Brandon Wagner, Amburgey delivered the game-winning hit through the left side of the infield.
Both starting pitchers were fantastic and received no decision, working seven scoreless innings apiece.
Ryan Bollinger allowed seven hits and fanned five over his seven shutout innings to earn the win.
Kyle Hart went seven scoreless, allowing six hits and striking out four while walking one (intentional).
Trey Ball worked two perfect innings to close out the win. Portland's pitchers were perfect in seven of nine innings.
The Sea Dogs and Trenton Thunder (Yankees affiliate) continue a three-game series on Wednesday night beginning at 7:00 PM from Hadlock Field. LHP Dedgar Jimenez (7-7, 4.92) takes on RHP Trevor Stephan (2-8, 5.34) Radio coverage begins at 6:45 PM on the WPEI U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network. MiLB.TV starts at 7:00 PM.
Tickets for any remaining game at Hadlock Field are available at seadogs.com or 207-879-9500.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 14, 2018
- Tendler Walks It off in the 10th, 5-2 Win over Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Tendler Blasts Walk-Off Homer in 10th - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels & Baysox Split Double Dip - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Curve Blank Fisher Cats to Open Road Trip - Altoona Curve
- Goats Stymie Fightins in Game One - Reading Fightin Phils
- Senators Squash SeaWolves on Tuesday - Erie SeaWolves
- Kie-BOOM Goes the Dynamite: Sens Explode for 15 Runs - Harrisburg Senators
- Heidt Has Three Hits But Fisher Cats Fall - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Start Road Trip with Victory - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks, Rumble Ponies Rained out Tuesday - Akron RubberDucks
- Series Opener Postponed in Binghamton - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Announce Game Schedule for 2019 Season - Altoona Curve
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #120 - Rumble Ponies (55-64) vs. RubberDucks (67-52) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Game Notes vs. Harrisburg - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 14th vs. Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.