Tampa Bay Rowdies Sign Pinellas County Native Kyle Curinga
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - A young and promising defender has joined the Tampa Bay Rowdies, with Pinellas County native Kyle Curinga signing for his hometown team, the Rowdies announced Tuesday. Per club and league policy, further contract details were not disclosed.
Curinga, 23, is a Clearwater native that played high school soccer at Clearwater Central Catholic High School before moving on to Florida Atlantic University.
"It's a dream to sign for your hometown club," Curinga said. "I'm really looking forward to the 2018 season and proving my worth with this historic club. I can't wait to play in front of these fans, especially Ralph's Mob."
He trained with the Rowdies last winter and played as a trialist in the 2017 Florida Cup before ultimately signing the Real Monarchs SLC in the USL.
"Kyle is a player that we had here with us last preseason and we were really impressed with him," Rowdies Head Coach Stuart Campbell said. "He had a great season in the USL last year and we're excited to bring him home with the Rowdies. He's at the right age to really kick on and take the next step in his career."
After leaving FAU, Curinga went to Europe with Finland's GBK Kokkola. In two seasons with GBK in 2014 and 2015, he made 50 appearances and scored four goals. He then moved on to FF Jaro for one season in 2016.
Curinga helped the Monarchs to a USL regular season championship last year, appearing in 26 matches and scoring twice.
"We're excited to bring in a hometown talent to the Rowdies," said Chairman & CEO Bill Edwards. "We want to get younger this upcoming season and Kyle is the perfect example of that. He is a player that will play his heart out for his hometown team."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from January 9, 2018
- Terraplas USA Continues USL Preferred Supplier Program's Growth - USL
- Tampa Bay Rowdies Sign Pinellas County Native Kyle Curinga - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Memphis Joins the United Soccer League for 2019 Season - USL
- Tampa Bay Rowdies Expand Roster with Signing - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tampa Bay Rowdies Stories
- Rowdies Snap Losing Streak in Neill Collins' Coaching Debut
- Rowdies to Broadcast Remaining Home Matches on IHeart's WHNZ 1250 AM
- Neill Collins Announced as Tampa Bay Rowdies Head Coach
- Rowdies Part Ways with Head Coach Stuart Campbell
- Rowdies Win as Hristov Ties Record in 2-0 Victory over Monarchs