T-Birds Sign Five Players to AHL One-Way Contracts
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Springfield Thunderbirds announced Tuesday that they have signed five players to AHL one-way contracts: forwards Blaine Byron, Jake Horton, Matt Mangene, and Tony Turgeon, as well as goaltender Chris Driedger.
Byron, 23, recorded six goals and seven assists in 39 games with Springfield in his rookie season. He was originally a sixth round pick (179th overall) of the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2013 NHL Draft out of the University of Maine.
Horton, 23, joined the Thunderbirds following a four-year collegiate career at Harvard University. The undrafted center skated in nine games for Springfield at the conclusion of the 2017-18 season.
Mangene, 29, also a Maine alumnus, spent the last four seasons with the Texas Stars, making a trip to the Calder Cup Finals this past June. In 308 AHL games with the Adirondack Phantoms, Bridgeport Sound Tigers, and Stars, he has tallied 28 goals and 69 assists.
Turgeon, 28, has skated in 34 games with the Thunderbirds over parts of the last two seasons, tallying five points (3g, 2a) and 60 penalty minutes.
Driedger, 24, joins the Thunderbirds after spending the last four seasons in the Ottawa Senators organization. Originally a third round pick (76th overall) of the Senators in 2012, Driedger went 9-7-1 in 17 games with the ECHL's Brampton Beast in 2017-18, posting a .922 save percentage and 2.55 goals against average.
Springfield Thunderbirds season-ticket members, and fans that would like to become season-ticket members for the 2018-19 season, will have the first opportunity to reserve seating locations by putting down a $50 deposit on a seated plan, with tickets for members discounted by $9. Fans with questions about All-Star Classic tickets can call the Thunderbirds at (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from July 3, 2018
- Coyotes Sign Mermis to One-Year Contract - Tucson Roadrunners
- Calgary Flames Prospects Attend Annual Development Camp - Stockton Heat
- Moose Sign Seven Players - Manitoba Moose
- Bob Jones Appointed Assistant Coach of Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Kings Sign Sean Walker to Entry-Level Contract - Ontario Reign
- Capitals Re-Sign Forward Riley Barber - Hershey Bears
- Syracuse Crunch Unveil 25th Season Logo - Syracuse Crunch
- Sens Offer Updates on Their Summers - Belleville Senators
- Marlies Sign Seven Players - Toronto Marlies
- Amerks Re-Sign Smith to One-Year AHL Deal - Rochester Americans
- Nashville Signs Colin Blackwell to Two-Year Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- T-Birds Sign Five Players to AHL One-Way Contracts - Springfield Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- Florida Panthers Loan G Sam Montembeault to Springfield
- Wideman, Driedger Lead T-Birds to Convincing Win in Providence
- Florida Panthers Recall G Sam Montembeault from Springfield
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd
- T-Birds Fall to First-Place Checkers