T-Birds Rally Late vs. Providence, Look Ahead to Regular Season
Springfield, Mass. - After dropping the first of a home-and-home series with the Providence Bruins, the Springfield Thunderbirds were looking to change their fortunes in the second and final game at home on Sunday. Despite two late goals in the third period, the Thunderbirds fell by a final score of 3-2 on Sunday at the MassMutual Center.
The Bruins got started on a goal by forward Austin Fyten, who scored just over ten minutes into the period. Fyten redirected a slap shot by Mark Fayne, who was credited with an assist on the play, to score his first goal of the preseason. It was also Fayne's third point in just two games.
Nearly ten minutes later, Providence scored again, this time off the stick of forward Jack Riley, who picked up a rebound of a shot by Nick Moultrey, making it 2-0 Bruins late in the first period.
Providence added another goal 17 minutes into the second period off the stick of Wiley Sherman, assisted by Tanner Pond and Riley, which increased the Bruins lead to 3-0.
It would remain 3-0 for the first 12 minutes of the third period until Thunderbirds forward Jonathan Ang scored an unassisted goal to cut the the lead to 3-1. The goal followed a jarring hit from first-year defenseman Riley Stillman that caused the puck to ricochet up-ice.
Seven minutes later, with 14 seconds left in the final period, Paul Thompson scored a goal of his own on a shot that hit off Providence goaltender Sean Bonar's right pad. Patrick Bajkov and Harry Zolnierczyk picked up assists on the goal.
Sam Montembeault played all three periods and finished with 27 saves on 30 shots in the loss. ?
Springfield is back in action on Saturday when they take on the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins on the road for its first regular season tilt. The Thunderbirds play their first home game on Oct. 13 vs. Lehigh Valley Phantoms as part of Opening Night presented by MGM Springfield.
?Springfield Thunderbirds fans are encouraged to visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com to learn more about 2018-19 Thunderbirds Season Ticket Memberships. Packages include a wide range of benefits, including the lowest prices for the 2019 Lexus AHL All-Star Classic presented by MGM Springfield. For more information or to order now, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625) or visit www.SpringfieldThunderbirds.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 30, 2018
- Parsons Stops 45 Shots as Heat Fall in Preseason Finale - Stockton Heat
- Callahan Scores Twice; Condors Sweep Preseason, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Amerks Defeat Crunch 4-1 in Preseason Finale - Rochester Americans
- Penguins Go Perfect in Preseason with 3-2 Win at Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Drop Preseason Finale to Pens, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Topped by Amerks, 4-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Rally Late vs. Providence, Look Ahead to Regular Season - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Admirals Release Three, Assign One - Milwaukee Admirals
- Rampage Trim Preseason Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas and Texas Make Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Moose Reduce Roster by Eight Players - Manitoba Moose
- Chicago Wolves Reduce Roster to 22 Players Ahead of Friday's Opener - Chicago Wolves
- Rangers Assign Brandon Crawley to Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Eagles Add Experience with Forward Cody Bass - Colorado Eagles
- Heat Host Preseason Party at Stockton Arena Today at 5PM - Stockton Heat
- Senators Trim Training Camp Roster to 24 - Belleville Senators
- Red Wings Assign Six to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Marlies Update Training Camp Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Colorado Sends Four to Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Announce Roster Moves - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign 12 Players to AHL's Cleveland Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Late Third Period Goals Steal Victory from Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Sikura, Delia Assigned to Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Barracuda Fall to Eagles 4-2 in Preseason Finale - San Jose Barracuda
- Colorado Concludes Preseason with 4-2 Win over Barracuda - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Thunderbirds Stories
- T-Birds' "Special" Effort Secures Win in Binghamton
- T-Birds Can't Solve DeSmith & Penguins in Wilkes-Barre
- T-Birds Visit Penguins & Devils in 2-Game Weekend
- T-Birds' A+ Defensive Efforts Rewarded in School Day Game Victory
- Thunderbirds Host 3rd Annual T-Birds 101 School Day Game