Strong Start From Dennis In Defeat
LANCASTER, Calif. - On a cold and windy night at The Hangar, Lancaster fell, 4-1, to Rancho Cucamonga Monday. First pitch was delayed due to rain, and both team had to contend with low temperatures throughout the contest.
Matt Dennis (0-3) took the loss despite five strong innings on the mound. The righty allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits. Rancho Cucamonga (6-6) tied the game with an unearned run in the third inning before going ahead with a pair in the fifth.
Lancaster (6-6) scored the first run of the game in the second on an Alan Trejo groundout, but that was it for the offense Monday. All four of the Lancaster hits were singles, and the team committed five errors defensively.
Andrew Sopko worked into the fifth for the Quakes, but was ineligible to earn the win. That went to Jason Richman (1-0), who allowed just a hit in 2.2 innings of relief.
The JetHawks will try to even the series Tuesday behind righty Trey Killian (0-1). Jordan Sheffield (0-1) takes the hill for Rancho. First pitch from the Hangar is set for 6:35 pm.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Inland Empire Downs Storm, Walsh's Homer Deluge Continues - Inland Empire 66ers
- Ports Strike Early and Hang on to Beat Nuts 6-3 - Modesto Nuts
- Ports Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Rolls to 4th Straight Win on Monday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Outlast Visalia in 10, Win Fourth Straight - San Jose Giants
- Strong Start From Dennis In Defeat - Lancaster JetHawks
- Stranded Runners Haunt Rawhide in Extra-Innings Loss - Visalia Rawhide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.