Stringer Named to Canada's Summer Under-18 Camp
LETHBRIDGE, AB - Hockey Canada has recognized a total of 46 players that were invited to take part in Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team selection camp, including Lethbridge Hurricanes forward Zack Stringer.
Stringer, 17, is one of 12 Western Hockey League players that has been invited to the camp. The product of Lethbridge, Alberta was originally drafted by the Hurricanes in the first round (8th overall) in the 2018 WHL Bantam Draft. In his rookie season in 2019-2020, Stringer led the 'Canes in rookie scoring totaling 34 points (11g-23a) along with a plus-13 rating and 22 penalty minutes while being named the teams Rookie of the Year Award winner.
In his young career, Stringer has collected 38 points (12g-26a) along with a plus-14 rating and 24 penalty minutes in 56 regular season games with the Hurricanes while also appearing in six post-season games in 2019 where he totaled three points (1g-2a) and two penalty minutes.
The 46 players were slated to compete for spots to represent Canada at the 2020 Hlinka Gretzky Cup was scheduled to take place in Edmonton and Red Deer from August 3-8, but was cancelled in April due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
"It is important for Hockey Canada to recognize the work the players and coaching staff already put in to prepare for the summer and a chance to compete for gold on home ice," said Hockey Canada's senior vice-president of national teams, Scott Salmond in a WHL release. "It was a difficult decision to cancel the tournament, as it provides the opportunity to showcase the top under-18 players in best-on-best international showcase. We want to recognize the 46 players and our three coaches for the tremendous accomplishment, and we look forward to watching all players continue to develop as they look ahead to next season and a chance to compete at the IIHF U18 World Championship."
Catch up on all the latest on the Lethbridge Hurricanes by visiting the team's website at www.lethbridgehurricanes.com, and/or follow on Twitter @WHLHurricanes
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from June 11, 2020
- Tips D Olen Zellweger, Head Coach Dennis Williams Honored by Hockey Canada for U18 Competition - Everett Silvertips
- Stankoven Recognized for Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Selection Camp - Kamloops Blazers
- Oil Kings Forward Dylan Guenther Invited to Canada's National Men's Under-18 Selection Camp - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Winterhawks Mourn Loss of Harry Glickman - Portland Winterhawks
- Brennan Named to Hockey Canada's Summer Under 18 Selection Camp - Prince George Cougars
- Sward Invited to National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Spokane Chiefs
- Stringer Named to Canada's Summer Under-18 Camp - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Allan Named to Hockey Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hockey Canada Recognizes 12 WHL Players for National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp - WHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.