Stranded Runners Haunt Rawhide in Extra-Innings Loss
VISALIA , CA - The Rawhide went to the bottom of the tenth inning trailing 4-1. San Jose had taken advantage of Visalia miscues to score three unearned runs off of Josh Taylor in the top of the frame. Pavin Smith began the inning at second and came home to score on a Ramon Hernandez single, bringing Visalia within two runs.
Then Daulton Varsho and Adam Walton drew walks to load the bases for the Rawhide with two outs. Dominic Miroglio, who had three hits in the game, blooped a pop up to short right that looked like it would fall in for a hit and tie the game.
But Joneshwy Fargas came streaking in from right and made an awkward sliding catch to end the game and strand the bases loaded.
Visalia (6-6) left the bases loaded three times and stranded 13 runners on base, a season high. The Rawhide had three hits in 16 at bats with runners in scoring position and fell in extra innings for the second straight night.
San Jose (8-4) was baffled by Rawhide starter Bo Takahashi. Takahashi delivered five shutout innings and allowed only one baserunner: a bloop single to Gio Brusa to lead off the second. After Brusa's single, Marcus Wilson made an over-the-shoulder running catch in right center on a blast off the bat of Heath Quinn and, from there, Takahashi took off.
He retired 12 straight hitters, a season-best mark for an individual Rawhide pitcher, and delivered his first shutout outing of the season.
The Giants scored their first run in the top of the sixth when Jalen Miller singled home Brandon Van Horn against Kevin Ginkel. Tommy Eveld pitched two quiet innings and Josh Taylor (L, 0-1) was the hard-luck loser with the three-run tenth.
Andrew Suarez started for San Jose after his scheduled start in Sacramento was rained out this afternoon and was solid for the Giants, going into the seventh inning before he departed with two outs and the bases loaded. He was replaced by Dylan Rheault, who struck out Hernandez on three pitches to end the threat.
Logan Webb (W, 1-1) came on o begin the eighth and pitched the final three innings of the game, wiggling out of the bases-loaded jam in the 10th.
Visalia continues the three-game series against San Jose (Advanced-A, San Francisco Giants) tomorrow evening. The game will match up Visalia RHP Emilio Vargas (0-0, 1.80) and San Jose LHP Conner Menez (1-0, 0.00). First pitch is set for 6:00 PM and tickets for the game are available on rawhidebaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from April 17, 2018
- Inland Empire Downs Storm, Walsh's Homer Deluge Continues - Inland Empire 66ers
- Ports Strike Early and Hang on to Beat Nuts 6-3 - Modesto Nuts
- Ports Snap Skid with 6-3 Win - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Rolls to 4th Straight Win on Monday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Outlast Visalia in 10, Win Fourth Straight - San Jose Giants
- Strong Start From Dennis In Defeat - Lancaster JetHawks
- Stranded Runners Haunt Rawhide in Extra-Innings Loss - Visalia Rawhide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Visalia Rawhide Stories
- Rawhide Announce New Toros Uniforms and Ballpark Events Celebrating Hispanic Culture
- Northern Division of California League Give Proceeds of Fire Relief Hats to Ridgeview HS
- Rawhide Bring Los Tigres Del Norte to Visalia
- Rawhide Announce New Rustlers Program
- Rawhide Announces First Ever Design-A-Jersey Contest for Kids