Storm Raise 2019 OHL Championship Banner
The Guelph Storm celebrated their 2019 OHL Championship prior to puck drop on Opening Night at the Sleeman Centre.
The Storm took on the defending Eastern Conference champion Ottawa 67's in a Rogers OHL Championship Series rematch, one that went the way of the visitors in a hard-fought 3-2 shootout outcome.
Storm governor Rick Gaetz was on hand prior to puckdrop to introduce a championship montage shown on the Sleeman Centre's video board, thanking players, coaches and fans for their contributions to the franchise's fourth OHL title.
In a good place???#IamtheSTORM pic.twitter.com/XwJXcxxWeP
- Guelph Storm (@Storm_City) September 21, 2019
"These special seasons only come along once in awhile," said Gaetz. "We've been very blessed here in Guelph. This is our fourth championship and our second in six years."
It wasn't any ordinary playoff run either. The Storm staved off elimination seven different times, winning a pair of Game 7's on the road before eliminating Ottawa in six games to hoist the Robertson Cup.
"These guys took us on a ride that will probably never happen again at any level of hockey in our lifetimes," Gaetz continued. "I know I can speak for everyone in the building, it was an emotional rollercoaster that culminated in a championship on home ice."
Returning members of the 2019 squad assembled for the banner raising ceremony as the Storm commemorated a season that won't soon be forgotten.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Flint Posts 4-1 Victory in Saginaw Saturday - Flint Firebirds
- Wolves Top Steelheads, 3-1 - Mississauga Steelheads
- Knights Close out Opening Weekend in Barrie - London Knights
- Storm Raise 2019 OHL Championship Banner - Guelph Storm
- Drysdale Ties Team Record as Otters Offense Leads Erie Past Hamilton - Erie Otters
- Attack Come up Short in Shootout vs 67s - Owen Sound Attack
- Sault Survives Troops' Rally - North Bay Battalion
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.