Storm Chasers Join MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
PAPILLION, Neb. - The Omaha Storm Chasers today announced they are joining MiLB CommUNITY First, a new national initiative developed by Minor League Baseball (MiLB) in conjunction with Feeding America®, to raise funds for local food banks and to honor individuals risking their lives on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Storm Chasers fans are encouraged to visit MiLB.com/CommUNITYFirst through May 31 to donate. Once on the site, fans can choose their donation amount and the Omaha Storm Chasers as the recipient of their donation to direct funds to the Omaha community. For every $10 donated, the Storm Chasers will donate one ticket to a future home game this season or in 2021 to a local hero of the pandemic.
"The Omaha Storm Chasers continue to look for ways to help others and recognize all of the front line workers during this challenging time for our community," Chasers vice president and general manager Laurie Schlender said. "We hope our fans will be a part of this effort to raise funds for local food banks, which are always there for those in need in our community."
School closures, rising unemployment and rising poverty due to quarantine and extended stay-at-home orders have disproportionately impacted people already at risk of hunger and could result in an estimated additional 17.1 million people experiencing food insecurity in the next six months, according to Feeding America. As the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief organization with a network of more than 200 affiliates, Feeding America has projected a $1.4 billion shortfall in the next six months alone.
In response, contributions from Storm Chasers fans and Minor League Baseball will help ensure families and individuals across the country most impacted by the pandemic are fed and cared for during these uncertain times. Join the national campaign by donating and selecting Omaha Storm Chasers at MiLB.com/CommUNITYFirst and use #MiLBCommUNITYFirst on social media to show your support.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 28, 2020
- San Antonio Missions to Take Part in MiLB's CommUnity First Campaign - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Fresno Grizzlies
- Round Rock Express Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Round Rock Express
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries - Fresno Grizzlies
- El Paso Chihuahuas, El Paso Locomotive FC, and FC Juarez Bravos Announce Plan to Unify the Borderplex During the COVID-19 Crisis - El Paso Chihuahuas
- MiLB Launches CommUNITY First Campaign - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Nashville Sounds
- Isotopes Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Storm Chasers Join MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign - Omaha Storm Chasers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.