Stewart, Bird, Loyd Lead Storm to 93-80 Win over Las Vegas
Palmetto, FL - Breanna Stewart poured in 37 points and grabbed 15 rebounds, Jewell Loyd added 28, and Sue Bird dished out a WNBA Finals record 16 assists in a, 93-80, win over the Las Vegas Aces in Game 1 of the Finals
First Quarter (Seattle 23, Las Vegas 21)
Las Vegas scored the first 8 points of the game. The Storm countered by scoring 15 of the next 18.
Second Quarter (Seattle 57, Las Vegas 40)
Las Vegas scored the first 5 points of the second quarter, and 8 of the first 9 to lead by five, 29-24. It was still a three-point Aces lead, 34-31, when the Storm went on an 18-0 run over a span of 4:13. Seattle outscored Las Vegas 34-19 in the quarter
Third Quarter (Seattle 69, Las Vegas 67)
Las Vegas trailed by 19, 59-40, but went on a 27-8 run to tie the score at 67.
Fourth Quarter (Seattle 93, Las Vegas 80)
Seattle scored the final two points of the third quarter, and the first 11 of the fourth to go back up 13, 80-67.
The Storm outscored the Aces, 48-18, in the paint. Las Vegas went 17 for 56 inside the arc.
Seattle made 50.0 percent of their shots, while Las Vegas connected on just 35.1 percent of theirs.
The Storm made 9 of 25 three-pointers, while the Aces went 10 for 21.
A'ja Wilson has scored in double figures in all 28 games this year (22 regular season, 6 postseason)
Bill Laimbeer is now 10-7 in WNBA Finals Games.
Sue Bird set a WNBA Finals record with 10 assists in the fist half, and 16 for the game.
The 34 points Seattle scored in the second quarter is the third highest scoring quarter in WNBA Finals history.
Carolyn Swords tied a Finals record with 6 offensive rebounds in the first half (Tangela Smith, Phoenix vs. Detroit, Sept. 11, 2007)
Angel McCoughtry's four three-pointers in the first half were the second most in a half in Finals history.
Las Vegas' bench averaged 35.0 points per game during the regular season, but scored 16 in Game 1 of the Finals.
Las Vegas remains at home this weekend for Game 2 of the WNBA Finals vs. the Storm. Tip on Sunday is slated for 3 pm ET/12 pm PT on ABC.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from October 2, 2020
- Storm Blitzes Aces in Game 1 of Finals, 93-80 - Seattle Storm
- Stewart, Bird, Loyd Lead Storm to 93-80 Win over Las Vegas - Las Vegas Aces
- Sue Bird and Seattle Storm Lead WNBA Jersey and Merchandise Sales Ahead of 2020 WNBA Finals Presented by Youtube TV - WNBA
- Atlanta Hosts Annual Dream Pink Auction - Atlanta Dream
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aces Stories
- Aces Come up Short as Storm Win Fourth WNBA Championship
- Storm Take 2-0 Lead with 104-91 Victory over Las Vegas
- A'ja Wilson Unanimous All-WNBA First Team Selection
- Stewart, Bird, Loyd Lead Storm to 93-80 Win over Las Vegas
- Aces Punch Ticket to WNBA Finals With 66-63 Victory over Sun