Steelheads Drop First of Home-And-Home
Mississauga, ON - The Mississauga Steelheads returned to the Paramount Fine Foods Centre on Friday evening to take on the Hamilton Bulldogs.
Hamilton thought they opened the scoring early in the first, but the goal was waved off due to a high-stick. Cole Schwindt found Ty Collins on a breakaway, who was able to beat Costantini up high to give the Steelheads a 1-0 lead. Kai Edmonds made his best save of the night early in the game, as he shutdown Tag Bertuzzi on a 2-on-1 to maintain the Steelheads lead. Mississauga took their lead into the intermission, while the shots were tied at seven.
Hamilton tied the game under a minute into the second period, as Bradey Johnson put a rebound past Edmonds. Keean Washkurak answered back for the Steelheads, as he one-timed a giveaway top shelf from the slot. With the Fish on the powerplay, Kai Edmonds stopped Jan Jenik on a breakaway before the play came back the other way, and James Hardie was able to snipe low blocker to give the Steelheads a 3-1 lead. Jenik was able to cut the lead to a goal as he picked up a rebound in front of the net and beat a sprawling Edmonds. Avery Hayes ripped a wrist shot to tie the game at three before the end of the frame. Mississauga and Hamilton headed into the intermission tied at three, with Hamilton leading in shots 22-14.
The Steelheads had a great opportunity to take the lead in the third period, as Hamilton headed to the box for hooking and an unsportsmanlike conduct. However, it was Jenik who took the puck from end to end and wired a wrist shot off the inside of the post to give Hamilton a 4-3 lead. Thomas Harley responded almost instantly, as a wrist shot from the point caught Costantini off guard to tie the game at four. With five minutes to go in the third, Michael Renwick blasted a slapshot top corner from the blue-line to regain Hamilton's lead. Thomas Harley had a great scoring opportunity, as he skated in on goal and took a hard wrist shot, but it hit the outside of the post and bounced out of play. The Steelheads would battle hard for the rest of the game, but ultimately fall to the Bulldogs by a final score of a 6-4.
The Steelheads NHL draft picks led the way tonight, as Thomas Harley (1G, 1A), Keean Washkurak (1G, 1A) and Cole Schwindt (2A) all recorded multi-point efforts in the loss.
1st star - Michael Renwick (1G, 1A)
2nd star - Keean Washkurak (1G, 1A)
3rd star - Cole Schwindt (2A)
Van Loon - Jenik - Kaliyev
Mutter - Morrison - Diaco
Bertuzzi - Johnson - Hayes
Sherk - Winterton - Humphrey
Staios - Vescio
Landry - White
Gravelle - Renwick
Bjorgvik Holm-Del Mastro
Join the Steelheads at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre on Sunday, December 8th for our 8th Annual Teddy Bear Toss game against the Soo Greyhounds. After the game, don't forget to bring your skates as there will be a post-game family skate and autograph session with your favourite Steelheads players. Tickets to the game can be purchased by visiting the Box Office, online through ticketmaster.ca or by calling 905-502-9100.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2019
- Petes Win Streak Comes to An End in Kingston - Peterborough Petes
- Attack Impress with 6-3 Win over Knights - Owen Sound Attack
- Steelheads Drop First of Home-And-Home - Mississauga Steelheads
- Andree Collects Shut out in Opening Game of the Battle of the Ottawa River - Ottawa 67's
- Colts Lose to Storm on the Road - Barrie Colts
- Greyhounds Outrun Otters 2-1 - Erie Otters
- Rangers Record Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Kitchener Rangers
- Hounds Hold-Off Otters in Hard Fought Visit to PA - Soo Greyhounds
- Jenik Earns A Share Of History, Renwick Scores Winner As Dogs Win 6-4 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Spits Fall 4-3 to Kitchener - Windsor Spitfires
- Preview: Spirit Travel to Sarnia for First of Eight Straight against Division Opponents - Saginaw Spirit
- Weekend Preview - Let the Teddy Bears Fly - Mississauga Steelheads
- Preview: Firebirds and Wolves Square-Off in Sudbury Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Game Preview: Barrie Colts at Guelph Storm - Guelph Storm
- Dellandrea Records Third-Career Hat-Trick in Thursday Victory in Barrie - Flint Firebirds
- Dellandrea's Trio Steals the Show on Teddy Bear Night - Barrie Colts
- First Place Petes Take Down Western Conference-Leading Knights in Teddy Bear Toss Game - Peterborough Petes
- Calisti Opens, Closes Scoring in Hounds Win at Niagara - Soo Greyhounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.