Steelheads Add 13 Players in 2020 #OHLDraft
MISSISSAUGA, ON - The Steelheads added 13 players to the organization; including 8 forwards, 4 defencemen and 1 goalie in Saturday's 2020 OHL Priority Selection Presented by Real Canadian Superstore.
With the 7th overall pick in the draft, the Steelheads selected high-scoring winger, Zakary Lavoie of the Toronto Nationals. In 68 games with the Nats this season, Lavoie notched 51 goals to go alongside 35 assists for a team-high 86 points. Steelheads GM & Head Coach, James Richmond describes Lavoie as "a dynamic right winger that loves to score goals." He adds "Our scouts watched him play all year and he showed that he was a consistent offensive threat every game. Zak has the speed that will transition well into the OHL game and especially into how the Steelheads like to play.
Richmond turned to the OMHA for both of the club's second round picks, selecting Owen Beck 29th overall and Carson Christy with the 38th pick. In 34 games with the Quinte Red Devils, Beck posted 19 goals and 39 points. Christy led the OMHA in goals this season, posting 41 tallies in just 36 league games to go along with 21 helpers.
When asked about the two second round selections, Richmond described Beck as "a strong, right shot centreman that plays a smart 200' game. He plays up and done the middle of the ice and makes smart hockey plays." As for Christy, "Carson scored over 60 goals in his minor midget year and we believe he can score in the OHL. He plays with speed and drives the net really well. We are excited to see Carson in the blue and white soon."
Before a break in the action, the Steelheads selected Zander Veccia with the 3rd pick of the third round (43 overall). The hard-nosed London-native registered 46 points (20G, 26A) in 29 games for the Alliance-leading Elgin Middlesex Chiefs. Richmond described Zander as "a guy who plays a fast, hard game. He's difficult to play against every shift. He played on a top minor midget team in Elgin Middlesex, played on their top line and scored on a consistent basis."
Rounds 6-15 were highlighted by the Steelheads selecting Mississauga-natives, Lucas Buzziol (120 overall - Vaughan Kings), and Drew Durzi (247 Overall - Toronto Nationals).
In the 7th round, the Steelheads added their first defenceman of the day, selecting Dylan Gordon out of the Detroit Honeybaked program. In 60 games, Gordon posted 55 points including 14 goals from the back-end this season.
Between the pipes, the Steelheads selected Ben Behrens in the 11th round. The St. Louis AAA Blues product was an USNTDP camp invite this spring and certainly fits the mold of a modern goaltender, standing at 6'1â³.
Learn more about the entire Steelheads 2020 Draft Class by visiting our Draft Central page.
After a successful day in the War Room, Steelheads GM, James Richmond adds, "Congratulations to the '04 Draft Class and welcome to the Mississauaga Steelheads! I'd like to thank the entire Steelheads scouting staff for all their hard work throughout the year. Our staff, headed by Mike Doyle, Rob Toffoli and Jeff Kyrzakos did an excellent job of preparation leading up to the draft. We believe we selected thirteen players today that one day could be playing for our hockey club. We addressed all of our needs for the immediate future and have grown our player depth as an organization at the same time. We want everyone to stay safe and healthy as we all fight together through these unprecedented times."
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from April 4, 2020
- London Knights Complete 2020 OHL Priority Selection - London Knights
- Skill and Toughness Added - Kingston Frontenacs
- OHL Completes 2020 Priority Selection Presented by Real Canadian Superstore - OHL
- London Completes 2020 OHL Priority Selection - London Knights
- Nelson Leads 15 Picks - North Bay Battalion
- Rangers Choose 17 Players in OHL Priority Selection - Kitchener Rangers
- Steelheads Add 13 Players in 2020 #OHLDraft - Mississauga Steelheads
- 67's Add to Already Bright Future with Selection of 15 Draft Picks - Ottawa 67's
- Petes Select Sixteen Players in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Storm Select Brock Beer 292nd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Ryan Russell 272nd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Saginaw Spirit Make 14 Picks in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection Draft - Saginaw Spirit
- Otters Add 14 Prospects at 2020 OHL Priority Selection - Erie Otters
- Storm Select Lucas Carson 252nd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Lee Parks 212th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Vinny Borgesi 170th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Jordan Karafile 192nd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Ethan Whitcomb 152nd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Selects Gavin Grundner 172nd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Troops Take Nelson, Four More - North Bay Battalion
- Storm Select Koen Taves 132nd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Ethan Coups 138th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Selects Aaron Andrade 93rd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Jacob Oster 92nd Overall - Guelph Storm
- Attack Add Talent in 2020 OHL Draft - Owen Sound Attack
- Storm Select Ryan McGuire 56th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Jake Karabela with the 32nd Pick - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Michael Buchinger 24th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Storm Select Matthew Poitras 12th Overall - Guelph Storm
- Petes Select Donovan McCoy Fifteenth Overall in the 2020 OHL Priority Selection - Peterborough Petes
- Attack Select Guindon 10th Overall in 2020 OHL Priority Selection - Owen Sound Attack
- Otters Select Spencer Sova Eighth Overall - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Select Michigan-Born Forward Gavin Hayes 16th-Overall in OHL Draft - Flint Firebirds
- Hounds Select Bryce McConnell-Barker with 4th Overall Pick; 1st Round Selection - Soo Greyhounds
- Niagara IceDogs Select Pano Fimis 2nd Overall - Niagara IceDogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.