Statement from Tacoma Rainiers Regarding COVID-19, Gover Nor Inslee's Announcement
TACOMA, WA - Earlier today, Governor Inslee announced an indefinite suspension of all public events with greater than 250 people in Pierce, King and Snohomish counties due to health concerns regarding COVID-19. The Tacoma Rainiers will continue to work with regional government agencies and health authorities to ensure the safety of all fans, players and Cheney Stadium staff until public games can resume.
"Our hope is to play our entire Rainiers home season as scheduled and we are excited to open the gates to Cheney Stadium without health concerns as soon as possible," said Tacoma Rainiers President Aaron Artman.
It is unknown yet if Gov. Inslee's decision will affect Tacoma's baseball schedule, but the Rainiers will be working with the Pacific Coast League to determine what flexibility exists within the schedule, should the shutdown continue into the regular season, which is scheduled to begin on Thursday, April 9 at Cheney Stadium.
Tacoma Defiance, USL Championship affiliate of Seattle Sounders FC, will play Wednesday's scheduled match at Cheney Stadium against San Diego Loyal SC behind closed doors, which will meet the mandated criteria of no public events with attendance greater than 250 people.
Rainiers and Defiance ticket buyers will not be charged for any game that is not played at Cheney Stadium, nor will they be charged for any games that are closed to the public. The teams will offer opportunities to exchange tickets for future matches in a simple and transparent way, and refunds for those who do not want to exchange for a future match.
As this situation remains fluid, the club is in real-time communication with key community stakeholders, and we will continue to provide updates as new information becomes available via our website and social media.
Questions regarding ticket information can be directed to [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from March 11, 2020
- Statement from Tacoma Rainiers Regarding COVID-19, Gover Nor Inslee's Announcement - Tacoma Rainiers
- Preliminary Promotional Schedule Unveiled for Missions' 2020 Season - San Antonio Missions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Among Minor League Baseball's Top-25 in Merchandise Sales for Fifth-Straight Year
- Rainiers Giving Tacoma a Taste of Baseball with "Cheneyville Grab N' Go" Drive-Thru
- Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27
- Tacoma Rainiers Statement Regarding Cancelation of 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Tacoma Rainiers Hosting Virtual Watch Party for Annual 3rd of July Fireworks Show