Stars Win NBA G League Showcase
LAS VEGAS - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, won the 2019 MGM Resorts NBA G League Winter Showcase tournament at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center after defeating the Grand Rapids Drive 91-88 in overtime. With the victory, which marked the club's 13th consecutive win, the Stars were awarded a $100,000 prize for the NBA G League players on their team.
Utah Jazz assignment player Juwan Morgan led the Stars to victory, tallying his third double-double of the season with 18 points and 12 rebounds. The center knocked down 7-of-10 (.700) from the field and a perfect 2-of-2 from beyond the arc. Jazz assignee Nigel Williams-Goss posted 14 points, seven assists, three rebounds and one steal. Jazz two-way player Justin Wright-Foreman added 16 points, while William Howard filled the stat sheet with 11 points, five rebounds, three assists and three steals.
The Drive were paced by Donta Hall, who finished with a 21-point, 12-rebound double-double. Detroit Pistons two-way player Jordan Bone recorded 17 points, while Todd Withers added 15 points, seven rebounds and three steals. Tra-Deon Hollins led all reserves with 11 points in 23 minutes.
While the Stars led by as many as 18 points, the Drive came back to tie the game with just under two minutes left in the fourth quarter and forced overtime. Salt Lake City jumped out to a 4-0 run and outscored Grand Rapids 6-3 in extra time to secure the victory.
The Stars held the advantage in three pointers (9-3), assists (22-15), steals (14-10), field goals (37-30) and fast break points (24-8), while the Drive grabbed more rebounds (41-39), hit more free throws (15-6) and tallied more points in the paint (52-50). The biggest difference in the game came down to points off turnovers, with Salt Lake City converting the Drive's 20 turnovers into 32 points. Grand Rapids scored 16 points off the Stars' 19 turnovers.
In the tournament, teams were ranked 1-28 based on their records through their first 12 games of the regular season. The top four teams - Memphis Hustle (1), Wisconsin Herd (2), Salt Lake City Stars (3) and Grand Rapids Drive (4) - were placed into the Championship Bracket.
The Stars will return home to begin a three-game homestand beginning on Friday, Dec. 27, against the Austin Spurs (San Antonio Spurs affiliate) at 7 p.m. (MT) at Bruin Arena. The game will be streamed on NBAGLeague.com.
Tickets for all Stars home games are available at slcstars.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from December 27, 2019
- Blue Coats Drain Season-High 21 Triples, Drop Back-And-Forth Affair to Skyhawks - Delaware Blue Coats
- Austin Spurs Fall Short to Salt Lake City Stars - Austin Spurs
- Hustle Get Back on Track in Sioux Falls - Memphis Hustle
- Wisconsin Nabs Second Straight Victory, Beats Lakeland 133-122 - Wisconsin Herd
- Back and Forth Game Slips Away from Iowa - Iowa Wolves
- Late Run Gives Hustle 91-80 Victory over Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Long Island Nets Defeat Erie BayHawks on Devin Cannady's Career Night - Long Island Nets
- Knicks Control Bulls from Start to Finish, 104-92 - Westchester Knicks
- Windy City Winning Streak Ends at Three, Bulls Lose to Knicks, 104-92 - Windy City Bulls
- Red Claws Lose Lead Late - Maine Red Claws
- Stars Win NBA G League Showcase - Salt Lake City Stars
- 3Rivers Federal Credit Union Holiday Invitational Saturday, December 28 - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Timberwolves Assign Jaylen Nowell and Naz Reid to G League Affiliate Iowa Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- United Airlines, Special Olympics of Wisconsin and Wisconsin Herd Partner to Honor Oshkosh's Basketball Roots - Wisconsin Herd
- United Airlines Partners with Herd to Raise Money for Special Olympics - Wisconsin Herd
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.