Stars Sweep Musketeers in Weekend Series with 3-1 Victory
LINCOLN, Neb. - The Lincoln Stars (20-16-5) capped off the weekend sweep over the Sioux City Musketeers (15-19-7) with a 3-1 win on Saturday night at the Ice Box.
Zach Urdahl ripped home his seventh goal of the season from the high slot 18:02 into the first period, giving the Stars a 1-0 lead. Dominic James and Owen Michaels were credited with the assists on the University of Wisconsin commit's tally. After one period, the Stars were up one and outshot Sioux City 13-3.
The second period saw both teams exchange transition chances, but Brock Bremer would strike in a more unusual fashion. With Lincoln on the penalty kill, Bremer's shot from the right circle was deflected by Musketeers defenseman Tommy Pasanen, ricocheted off the end boards and off the back of Sioux City goaltender Ethan Haider before trickling past the goal line. The Forest Lake, MN native picked up his 13th goal of the season with the shorthanded marker, increasing Lincoln's lead to 2-0 at 6:44.
Sam Stange's blistering wrist shot from the right circle served as the response from Sioux City at 13:46. Heading into the third period, the Stars were winning 2-1 and controlled the shot totals 19-12.
Jake Mucitelli and the Stars defense would stand tall in the third period, keeping the Musketeers off the board until the final buzzer. Bremer would add an empty-net goal for his 14th of the year.
Mucitelli picked up his 12th win of the season, stopping 19 of 20 shots on Saturday and 34 of 36 on the weekend series. Haider turned away 29 of 31 shots in the loss. Lincoln's penalty kill continued their success, killing off both Sioux City power plays, increasing their streak to 11 consecutive kills. The Stars were 0-for-5 on the power play.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2020
- Gamblers Fight off the Saints and Win 4-3 - Green Bay Gamblers
- Storm Defeat Capitols 5-2 - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks Clinch CR Series - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Wiener Dogs Top Buccaneers Before Capacity Crowd - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Stars Sweep Musketeers in Weekend Series with 3-1 Victory - Lincoln Stars
- Dubuque's Comeback Bid Falls Short, Gamblers Win 4-3 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Phantoms Use Explosive Second Period to Top Muskegon 5-4 - Youngstown Phantoms
- Tri-City Storms Past Madison, 5-2 - Madison Capitols
- Pitlick Scores Early But Jacks Fall on Road for Second Night to Youngstown - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Preview: Storm Back in Action for Weekend Series against Madison - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Stars Stories
- Mayorov Caps off Third-Period Comeback in Sioux Falls
- Stars Dominate 5-On-5 But Fall Short in Des Moines
- Stars to Play Buccaneers in Des Moines Saturday; November 25th at Waterloo Postponed
- Stars Acquire Nardecchia from Tri-City
- Mayorov Acquired by Stars in Eight-Piece Deal with Storm