Stars Sign Defenseman John Ryder to AHL Contract
CEDAR PARK, TX - The Texas Stars, proud American Hockey League affiliate of the Dallas Stars, announced today the signing of former University of Denver defenseman John Ryder to a standard AHL contract.
Ryder, (6'1", 200 lbs.), joins the Stars after completing his senior season at the University of Denver of the WCHA where he tallied four assists and 32 penalty minutes in 30 games played. He led the Pioneers last year with 209 hits and registered 33 blocked shots in spite of missing 13 games mid-season due to a broken kneecap. In his five-year collegiate career Ryder posted 22 points (1 goal, 21 assists) and 180 penalty minutes in 142 NCAA games; he also made four consecutive appearances for Denver in the NCAA Tournament (2009-2012). The Colorado Springs, Colo. native led the Pioneers in hits each of the last three seasons, racking up 802 hits in 102 games from 2009-2012; he recorded over 1,000 hits during his college career.
Ryder's true freshman year (2007-08) was abruptly cut short when he suffered a right hand injury that required season-ending surgery after only eight games played and he was granted a medical redshirt. The 23-year old, who majored in finance and management, was named to the All-WCHA Academic Team for four consecutive years (2008-2012).
The Stars open the 2012-13 season on Saturday, October 13th at San Antonio and their home opener comes on Sunday, October 14th as they host the Charlotte Checkers for a 7:00 pm face off at Cedar Park Center. 2012-13 season seat packages are on sale now. For more information on Texas Stars season tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 31, 2012
- Stars Sign Defenseman John Ryder to AHL Contract - Texas Stars
- Texas Stars Reach Affiliation Agreement with Idaho Steelheads - Texas Stars
- Phantoms Golf Scramble on October 15 - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- Texas Stars Sign Brad McClure to AHL Contract for 2018-19
- SMG Names Sammy Wallace as GM of H-E-B Center at Cedar Park
- Dallas Signs Adam Mascherin to Entry-Level Contract
- 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule Announced
- Texas Stars Announce Home Opener for 10th Anniversary Season