Stars Secure Point in Regular-Season Finale
The Lincoln Stars (35-20-3-4) secured a point in the final regular-season game of 2021-22 but lost 3-2 in overtime against the Tri-City Storm (47-11-3-1) on Saturday night at the Ice Box.
Doug Grimes scored a power-play goal 10:57 into the first period, giving the Stars a 1-0 lead. Yu Sato and Keaton Peters picked up the assists on Grimes' eighth goal of the year.
Daimon Gardner tied the game at 14:50 for Tri-City, marking the lone goal for the Storm in the first period. Lincoln outshot the Storm 14-7.
Drew Montgomery gave the Storm a 2-1 lead on a 2-on-0 chance 2:39 into the second period.
Killian Kiecker-Olson responded for the Stars, scoring his 20th goal of the season on a 4-on-4 sequence. Mason Marcellus and Henry Nelson were credited with the helpers.
Kiecker-Olson became the fourth Stars player this season to reach 20 or more goals, joining Aidan Thompson, Dalton Norris and Lucas Wahlin. It's the first time the Stars have had four 20-goal scorers in a single season since 2006-07.
The teams were tied after two periods for the second straight night heading into the third. No goals were scored in the final frame of regulation, sending the game to overtime.
Josh Eernisse ended the game off the opening face-off of the 3-on-3 overtime, giving Tri-City the weekend sweep over Lincoln.
The Stars finished the 2021-22 season in third place in the Western Conference with a record of 35-20-3-4.
Lincoln will face the Waterloo Black Hawks in the first round of the Clark Cup Playoffs in a best-of-three series at the Ice Box. Game 1 is set for Monday, April 25th at 6:00 p.m.
Tickets are available at LincolnStars.com/ClarkCupPlayoffs2022
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 24, 2022
- Muskegon Duels with Cedar Rapids for Opening Round of 2022 Clark Cup Playoffs - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- USHL Announces Clark Cup Playoffs First Round Matchups and Information - USHL
- Fargo Force Playoff Watch Parties Announced - Fargo Force
- Round One Playoff Preview - Lincoln Stars
- Stars Secure Point in Regular-Season Finale - Lincoln Stars
- Phantoms Wrap up Regular Season with 7-3 Thumping of Team USA - Youngstown Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.