Stars Defeat Spurs in Road Contest
CEDAR PARK, Tex. - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, defeated the Austin Spurs 98-89 tonight to earn the club's second-straight win and improve to 18-18 (.500) on the season.
The Stars were led by Isaac Haas, who scored a season-high 21 points (13 in the first half) on 10-of-12 (.833) from the field and collected six boards (all defensive). Utah Jazz two-way player Naz Mitrou-Long tallied 15 points and five assists, his third-straight game leading the team in helpers, and Tanner McGrew recorded his fourth consecutive game in double figures with 14 points. Stephaun Branch grabbed a team-high eight rebounds to go with nine points, while Jairus Lyles and Justin Reyes each contributed 11 points off the bench.
Austin was led by San Antonio Spurs two-way player Drew Eubanks, who recorded his fourth 20/10 game of the season with a game-high-tying 21 points to go with game-highs of 10 rebounds and four steals. Josh Huestis scored 15 points, and Chimezie Metu, currently on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, finished with 10 points, seven rebounds and two blocks.
There were 17 lead changes in the first half, with the Stars ending the second quarter on a 15-6 run to own a seven-point edge (55-48) at halftime. The Spurs took a one-point lead (60-59) powered by a 9-0 run early in the third frame, but the Stars responded with a 20-4 run to close the period and take a 15-point advantage (79-64), the team's largest lead, entering the final frame. The Spurs opened the fourth with an 8-0 spurt to cut the edge to seven points (79-72), but the Spurs never got closer than seven and the Stars won by nine.
The Stars will continue their road trip with a matinee contest at the Stockton Kings (Sacramento Kings affiliate) on Wednesday, Feb. 13, at 11 a.m. (MT). The game, which is Salt Lake City's final contest before the break, will be broadcast live on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 10, 2019
- Stars Defeat Spurs in Road Contest - Salt Lake City Stars
- Santa Cruz Warriors Secure 114-104 Road Win over Fort Wayne Mad Ants - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Mad Ants Fall at Home to Santa Cruz - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Christian Wood & Herd Send Charge into Break with Loss - Canton Charge
- Blue Coats Re-Acquire Michael Bryson - Delaware Blue Coats
- Blue Edged by Lakers in Final Minutes - Oklahoma City Blue
- Austin Spurs Fall to Salt Lake City Stars 98-89 - Austin Spurs
- Woods' Dominant Performance Lifts Herd over Charge - Wisconsin Herd
- South Bay Storms Back to Beat Oklahoma City - South Bay Lakers
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.