Stamps Kick off 2018 Season by Facing Ticats
The 73rd regular season in Stampeders history begins on Saturday as the Red and White play host to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats. Kickoff at McMahon Stadium is 5 p.m. and the game will be broadcast on TSN and 770 CHQR radio.
Calgary has won six consecutive home-openers including a Week 1 matchup with Hamilton in 2015. The Stamps are 41-30-1 all-time in home-openers including a 34-22-1 record since McMahon Stadium opened in 1960.
The Tiger-Cats have not left Southern Alberta with a win since 2004 and the 13-game losing streak at McMahon includes a 60-1 rout in Week 6 of the 2017 season. The Stamps completed the season-series sweep with a Week 17 victory in Hamilton thanks a game-winning field goal by Rene Paredes on the final play of the game.
A second straight West Division title was won by the Stamps in 2017 while the Ticats were unable to secure a post-season berth despite a solid 6-4 finish in their final 10 games following an 0-8 start to the campaign.
Come early for Fan Zone fun
The action begins at 2:30 p.m. as the Fan Zone will be in operation in the east parking lot across from the Ticket Office.
The Fan Zone features food trucks, a DJ and the Tim Hortons Community Cruiser with an opportunity to sample coffee as well as frozen lemonade and blueberry-pomegranate drinks. There will also be player autographs presented by Metro Ford.
On the field, there will be a pre-game performance by the Stampede Showband. At halftime, teams from the Calgary Catholic School District will be competing in flag football.
Big 50/50 jackpot
Fans attending Saturday's contest will have an opportunity to take home a bundle of cash.
The pot for the 50/50 at the home-opener begins at $85,000 and is expected to easily exceed $100,000. That amount will grow with every ticket sold, with the winner taking home half the final total.
Tickets can be purchased throughout McMahon Stadium from the moment the gates open to the conclusion of the third quarter with 50 per cent of the funds going to amateur football through the Stampeders Foundation.
Calgary Stampeders vs Hamilton Tiger-Cats
Presented by Tim Hortons
Saturday, June 16
5 p.m. kickoff
Radio: 770 CHQR
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from June 13, 2018
- Stamps Kick off 2018 Season by Facing Ticats - Calgary Stampeders
- This Week in the CFL â?? Week 1 - CFL
- Ludacris to Perform at Esks Halftime on July 13 - Edmonton Eskimos
- Stampeders Players Elect Team Captains - Calgary Stampeders
- Lions Set to Kick off CFL Season Saturday Versus Montreal - B.C. Lions
- Tiger-Cats Sign Former CFL All-Star Running Back White - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Where to Find the CFL in 2018 - CFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Stampeders Stories
- Simpson Signs Contract; Retires as Stampeder
- New CFL Award Named After Longtime Member of Stampeders Organization
- Stamps Look to Wrangle Roughriders
- Three Tailgate Events Make Party Bigger Than Ever at 2019 Grey Cup Festival Presented by Shaw
- Stamps Travel East to Face Alouettes