Squirrels to Host 5th Annual Guns & Hoses Softball Game
Funnville - The Richmond Flying Squirrels, Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants, will celebrate the culmination of National Police Week (May 13-19) and the beginning of National EMS Week (May 20-26) with a First Responders Day at The Diamond on Sunday, May 20. The day will feature the fifth annual Guns & Hoses charity softball game between the Richmond Police Department and Richmond Fire Department following the Flying Squirrels' 1:05 p.m. contest against the Harrisburg Senators.
Pregame activities for First Responders Day at The Diamond are scheduled to include a Touch-A-Truck-style event with fire trucks, law enforcement and EMS vehicles parked outside the front gates of the ballpark beginning at noon. Richmond Sheriff Antionette Irving and members of her staff will participate in Catch with a Cop in the outfield from 12:15-12:35 p.m.
"We're committed to the greater Richmond community, and a day like this gives us an opportunity to say 'thank you' to the men and women who serve and protect our community every day," said Flying Squirrels VP & COO Todd "Parney" Parnell. "The competitive spirit between the Richmond police and fire departments is a lot of fun to watch and we encourage our fans to come out and support both on the field as well as their charitable causes."
Both the Richmond police and fire departments are selling fundraiser tickets to Sunday's game. Proceeds from the Richmond police fundraiser will benefit the Bike for Blue campaign while Richmond fire proceeds support the Muscular Dystrophy Association summer camp. Both organizations will also be selling T-shirts during Sunday's game as an additional fundraiser to benefit the respective charities they are supporting.
To purchase tickets to support the Richmond Police Department fundraiser, click here: https://groupmatics.events/Richmondpolice
To purchase tickets to support the Richmond Fire Department fundraiser, click here: https://groupmatics.events/Richmondfire
As part of every Sunday home game, kids ages 14 and younger can run the bases after the game presented by Richmond Family Magazine. The Guns & Hoses softball game will begin immediately after kids run the bases.
The Flying Squirrels return to Funnville tonight to begin a four game series against the Harrisburg Senators. Below is an outline of events this weekend.
Thursday, May 17 - Michael Robinson Bobblehead & In-Your-Face Fireworks
Presented By The Good Feet Store & Fox Sports 910 | First 1,000 fans 15 & older
Be one of the first 1,000 fans 15 and up and receive a FREE Michael Robinson Bobblehead courtesy of The Good Feet Store. Celebrate the career of this Super Bowl champion and former Varina H.S. standout. In-Your-Face Fireworks follow the game. Also, Rotary Night. Gates open at 5:30 p.m.
Friday, May 18 - Free Shirt Friday & RVA's Best Happy Hour
Presented By Richmond Times-Dispatch, CBS 6 & Star 100.9 | First 1,500 fans 15 & older
Free Funnville-themed shirts to the first 1,500 fans 15 and older presented by the Richmond Times-Dispatch. Happy Hour specials run from 6-8 p.m. Friday is also Girl Scout Night with gates opening at 5:45 p.m.
Saturday, May 19 - ASK Foundation Night & Super Blast Fireworks
Presented By Anthem, ABC 8 & Mix 98.1
It's ASK Foundation Night presented by Anthem here at The Diamond. The players will wear special Superman-themed jerseys which we will auction off. Proceeds benefit The ASK Foundation. Enjoy In-Your-Face Fireworks after the game! Gates open at 5 p.m.
Sunday, May 20 - Sunday Funnday, First Responders Day & Guns vs. Hoses
The Flying Squirrels honor all first responders on this Sunday afternoon. Kids Club members get in for free and fans can play catch on the field from 12:15-12:35 p.m. presented by Nesquik. Kids Run the Bases after the game presented by Richmond Magazine. Stick around after the game for the annual Guns & Hoses charity softball game. Gates open at 12 p.m.
RHP Jordan Johnson (4-3, 2.43) will have his scheduled adjusted to open the four-game set against Harrisburg RGP Jarron Long (0-2, 5.63). Tickets for Thursday, as well as the rest of the 2018 season in Funnville can be found at www.squirrrelsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Seven-Run Lead Squandered, Portland Takes Opener - Altoona Curve
- Early Rally Propels Thunder over Bowie - Trenton Thunder
- Five-Run First Costs Baysox in 11-5 Loss - Bowie Baysox
- Epic Night in Altoona: Sea Dogs Win 12-9 in 10 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- RubberDucks Pass Yard Goats 7-5 - Akron RubberDucks
- Fisher Cats Break up No-Hit Bid in Sixth Inning of 11-1 Defeat - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Show Swag, Flashing Leather and Muscle to Top Ducks - Hartford Yard Goats
- Taylor & McNeil Blast Ponies Past Fisher Cats - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Senators and Flying Squirrels Postponed - Harrisburg Senators
- Flying Squirrels & Harrisburg Senators Postponed Thursday - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #38 - Rumble Ponies (19-18) at Fisher Cats (23-13) - 6:35 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes May 17th at Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Richmond - Game #39 - Harrisburg Senators
- Sea Dogs' Homestand Preview: May 22-28 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Squirrels to Host 5th Annual Guns & Hoses Softball Game - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Senators and Baysox Suspended for Second Night in a Row - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.